'Expendables 2' Star Sylvester Stallone Calls Film a 'Minor Miracle' (Video)
In a new behind-the-scenes featurette, the action star says that getting so many all-star actors together is a feat that may never happen again.
Sylvester Stallone, one of the biggest action stars in Hollywood, knows that the hardest challenge of making an action film like Expendables 2 was not the stunts, the guns or the explosive action scenes, but rather, the complicated dance required to get so many major action stars to be show up on the same day.
“Everyone in this movie has had a very stellar career,” he adds. “To get them all together at one time is a minor miracle.”
Stallone, who directed the first Expendables film, returns to star alongside an all-star cast featuring Jean-Claude Van Damme, Jason Statham, Yu Nan, Jet Li, Dolph Lundgren, Chuck Norris, Terry Crews, Randy Couture, Liam Hemsworth, Bruce Willis and Arnold Schwarzenegger.
“It makes it very special because you’re never, ever going to see this again,” Stallone says in the new clip.
While Stallone has handed the directing reins over to Simon West, the actor will star as Barney Ross who, along with his group of mercenaries, is out for revenge after one of their own is killed.
“Most of the actions films today are very, highly technical, and so the Expendables films got to bring back some of that old-time rock 'n' roll,” Stallone says.
The rest of the brief, one-minute clip shows the actors performing stunts and fights, sometimes in front of green screens, and driving some pretty heavy machinery.
In one shot, Stallone is seen smoking a cigar on set -- because, really, what else would you expect of Stallone while hanging out on set?
The Expendables 2 opens in theaters on August 17.
Watch the new featurette below.
2014 Emmy Awards
Follow Heat Vision
- Failure, Alarms & After Parties: Chats with The Posies, Dry the River's Peter Liddle and Ghost Town's Kevin McCullough
- This Rapper Just Won The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge With Marijuana
- Emily Browning: If I Had Gotten That 'Twilight' Role, 'I Would Have Quit' Acting
- This Map Plots Where Your Favorite College Movies Were Filmed
- Sophia Bush Sends Congrats to Pal Aaron Paul For Emmy Win!
- Miles Teller on One-Night Stands: Don't Let Them Borrow Clothes Because 'You Will Not Get That Sh-t Back'
- Jennifer Aniston & Sandra Bullock Mock Chelsea Handler on 'Chelsea Lately' Finale
- Gerard Butler, Vanessa Hudgens, & Selena Gomez Sing Farewell to Chelsea Handler on 'Chelsea Lately'