'Expendables 2' Terry Crews, Randy Couture on Water Stunts, Freezing Temperatures and Missing Mickey Rourke (Video)
"For me, I'm not the best swimmer, so I was very, very nervous about the water," Crews tells THR.
Former NFL player Terry Crews and retired American mixed martial artist Randy Couture are a pair of tough guys, which is precisely what qualifies them to play members of the mercenary group that stars in The Expendables 2.
But it turns out that even tough guys have their weaknesses, and for Crews, it would be open water.
One scene in the action sequel features the group of mercenaries trying to escape some bad guys by riding jet skis into a seaplane.
“For me, I’m not the best swimmer, so I was very, very nervous about the water,” Crews tells The Hollywood Reporter.
“Everything else I was good. Flip that guy? Great,” he adds. “But when we got on those jet skis and that whole thing, I was like, 'Oh boy, here we go'."
The water wasn’t exactly welcoming, either. The scene was shot in Bulgaria and the water was at about 28 degrees.
“There were a couple instances where these guys ended up in the water,” Crews says.
“All I could think about was me in The Hollywood Reporter: ‘Terry Crews, Not Here',” Crews jokes.
Both Couture and Crews are glad to be back for the sequel, which sees the return of stars Sylvester Stallone, Jason Statham and Dolph Lundgren, plus the additions of Liam Hemsworth and Chuck Norris.
The film follows the group of mercenaries on a revenge mission against Jean Vilain (Jean-Claude Van Damme), who kills one of their members and plans to create a lethal weapon with several hundred tons of plutonium.
“I think we were both looking at each other, saying, ‘I’m glad they didn’t kill Toll Road [after the first film]',” Couture says of his character. “If they do another one, we get to come back.”
Crews adds that he was also happy to be back, but sad that one actor who starred in the first film wasn’t able to revisit his character.
“I was a little disappointed that Mickey [Rourke] didn’t come back. But, hopefully, Mickey can still come back in the third,” he says.
The Expendables 2 opens in theaters on August 17.
Email: Rebecca.email@example.com; Twitter: @Beccamford
Video by Spencer Byam-Taylor
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
Follow Heat Vision
- Apple Should Have Read The Lyrics Before Putting This Song In An Ad
- 'Noah' Director Darren Aronofsky And Others Talk Faith And Environmentalism (LIVE VIDEO)
- 'The Quiet Ones' Review: Retro Horror Film Is Weighed Down By A Silly Script
- Wrigley Field's Celebrity Singers Ranked From Most Cringe-Worthy To Least