'Fraggle Rock' Movie Gets a Pair of Writers (Exclusive)
Jim Byrkit and Alex Manugian will pen the script for the adaptation of the Jim Henson-created 1980s TV show.
Rango co-writer Jim Byrkit and Alex Manugian have been happed to pen the script for Fraggle Rock, New Regency’s big-screen adaptation of the 1980s musical puppet series created by Jim Henson.
Initially a Canadian series that became a hit internationally (in the U.S. it played on HBO), Rock told the adventures of a group of cave-dwelling puppet creatures called Fraggles. In their lives are a race of small industrious creatures named Doozers, who live in the caves, and the Gorgs, furry giants who look at Fraggles as nuisances.
A feature has long been in the works at other companies with the property being set up at New Regency in 2011.
The Jim Henson Co. and the Montecito Picture Co. are producing.
PHOTOS: 11 Children's Movies With Political Agendas? You Betcha, Say ConservativesByrkit shared story credit on Rango with Gore Verbinski and John Logan. He was also a storyboard artist on Oscar-nominated animated movie and worked with Verbinski in the same capacity on The Pirates of the Caribbean movies.
Manugian is a former Cartoon Network executive who did some voicework on Rango.
Together they wrote the spec Fleeced, a sort of Ocean's 11 meets Jason and the Argonauts, which is set up at Disney.
The duo is repped by Eric Robinson and Eddie Gamarra of The Gotham Group. Byrkit is additionally repped by Gersh.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
Follow Heat Vision
- Zac Efron, Dave Franco, and Christopher Mintz-Plasse Share Crazy Stories From "Neighbors" Set at SXSW 2014
- Jennifer Aniston Would Trade Bodies With Gisele Bundchen, Is Just Like Us
- What We Want To See In 'Looking' Season 2
- I Ain't Gonna Work on Maggie's Farm No More: 'True Detective' and the Deep Dark Secret of the American Psyche