'Fright Night' Writer to Pen 'Ouija' Screenplay (Exclusive)
Marti Noxon will work on the script for Hasbro and Platinum Dunes.
Ouija may not have a studio home, but the supernatural project is still very much alive and kicking.
Hasbro, which is financing development, and Platinum Dunes, the shingle producing the project, have hired well-regarded scribe Marti Noxon to work on the script.
Noxon cut her teeth and gained geek cred with her work on Buffy the Vampire Slayer and most recently wrote the remake of Fright Night.
Ouija was set up at Universal but was untethered in late August due to budgetary concerns. The move followed Universal's letting go of another Hasbro property, Monopoly.
But Noxon’s hiring shows Hasbro is still very keen on the Ouija project, and is unafraid to spearhead its own development, mirroring moves already made on the Monopoly project. In September, Hasbro and Ridley Scott, who is producing Monopoly, set Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski to pen a script.
Ouija is still envisioned as a family adventure in the tone of The Mummy centering on a family who has to deal with otherwordly chaos that is unleashed.
Noxon, who also did a pass on Lionsgate’s Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, is repped by WME and Hansen Jacobson.
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
Follow Heat Vision
- Jessica Alba's Secret to a Happy Home Life: Having Girls' Night Out to Complain About Your Husband!
- Zooey Deschanel Spotted Kissing & Hugging Mystery Man on 'Rock the Kasbah' Set
- Diane Kruger Looks Fabulous Alongside 'The Bridge' Cast at FX TCA Panel 2014!
- Giuliana Rancic Dyes Her Hair Platinum Blonde - See the Pic