'Gangster Squad' Reshoots Set for Aug. 20 in L.A.'s Chinatown (Exclusive)
A shooting sequence inside Hollywood's Chinese Theatre has been scrapped in response to the Aurora movie theater massacre.
Warner Bros. has set the week of August 20 for reshoots of Gangster Squad, the movie whose release date was shifted in response to the Aurora, Colo., theater shootings.
Gangster Squad, a period crime drama starring Ryan Gosling, Sean Penn and Josh Brolin, featured a key action sequence with mobsters bursting through the silver screen of Grauman’s Chinese Theatre in Hollywood with Tommy guns blazing. The bloody gunplay continued in the lobby and courtyard and spilled onto Hollywood Boulevard.
But in the wake of the July 20 massacre during a midnight screening of The Dark Knight Rises (also from Warner Bros.), the studio decided to push back the release date from Sept. 7 to Jan. 11 and reconceive the theater sequence. Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that the action will now move to L.A.'s Chinatown. The main players in the scene -- Gosling, Brolin, Anthony Mackie, Robert Patrick, Troy Garity and Michael Pena -- are being brought back for night shoots scheduled for five days, according to insiders.
Gangster Squad, directed by Ruben Fleischer (Zombieland), is based on a series of Los Angeles Times articles detailing the LAPD's fight to keep the mob out of L.A. in the 1940s and 50s. The Chinese Theatre sequence was fictionalized (it never actually happened) and was designed to be a show-stopping set piece in the film, with Fleischer taking great pains to accurately re-create Christmas in Hollywood circa 1950.
The Chinatown neighborhood offers another iconic L.A. locale and can be made to look like the 1950s without much effects work. Warner Bros. declined comment on the reshoots.
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
Follow Heat Vision
- Arsenio Hall 'Proves' David Letterman Wanted Him As A Replacement (VIDEO)
- Conan Calls Out '60 Minutes' For Even More Questionable Dubbing
- A Conversation with Bertrand Tavernier: On Politics, His Favorite Star, Early Influences, and His New Film
- Spotify's '90s Smash Hits! Playlist Is The Best Thing Since TRL
- James Franco Is the Happiest Guy Opening His 'New Film Stills' Art Exhibition at Pace Gallery!
- Tom Hiddleson 'Very Much' Wants to Play a Normal Character Who Wears Jeans!
- Cher Rocks Heart Shaped Nipple Pasties, Displays Fabulous Figure at 67!
- Jonathan Rhys Meyers Has Some Time Before Filming 'Secret Scripture'