Gary Oldman's Manager Snags Acting Role in 'Robocop' (Exclusive)
Manager Douglas Urbanski steps in front of the camera as the mayor of Detroit.
Manager Douglas Urbanski usually does his work behind the scenes, making deals for such clients as Gary Oldman and executive producing movies such films as Tinker Tailor Solider Spy.
But now Urbanski is stepping in front of the camera, joining Oldman in Robocop, MGM’s remake of the 1980s sci-fi classic.
The movie, which stars Joel Kinnaman as the cyborg policeman and Oldman as his scientist-creator, begins shooting in Toronto later this month.
Urbanski will play the mayor of Detroit, the city that needs Robocop’s help.
This isn’t Urbanski’s first stab at acting. He memorably played the dismissive and haughty Harvard president Larry Summers in David Fincher’s The Social Network. As was the case with Social Network, sources say the offer for the Robocop part came out of the blue with a call from the studio at the behest of the film's director, Jose Padilha.
"I think every agent, every manager should do this to see what the other side is like," says Urbanski who, prior to becoming a manager, was a theater producer with multiple Tony nominations. "This way, they will never think a client is crazy when they get a call from the set with crazy demands."
Urbanski was repped in the deal by APA.
HOLLYWOOD'S RED CARPET A-LIST
Follow Heat Vision
- Aretha Franklin On New Covers Album: 'I Don't Think I Have Ever Been As Excited As I Am Now'
- This First Look At Benedict Cumberbatch In 'The Hollow Crown' Is Everything
- Rosamund Pike Dishes On Her 'Gone Girl' Sex Scene With Neil Patrick Harris
- Pixar's 'Inside Out' Trailer Looks Like A Total Brain Pleaser
- The Walking Dead's Andrew Lincoln & Norman Reedus Fly Into LA Ahead of Season 5!
- Lena Dunham Opens Up About a College Date Rape Experience
- Matthew McConaughey Gets Inspiring & Philosophical with the Texas Longhorns Football Team - Watch Now!
- Hugh Jackman Joins #FeelingNuts Campaign & Grabs Himself for Testicular Cancer