Gary Oldman Signs on for 'Dawn of the Planet of the Apes'
The "Dark Knight Rises" star joins Jason Clarke and Kodi Smit-McPhee in the sequel to the 2011 hit film.
Gary Oldman is joining the growing cast of 20th Century Fox’s Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.
Jason Clarke and Kodi Smit-McPhee are already cast in the sequel to Rise of the Planet of the Apes being directed by Matt Reeves.
While much of the plot is being kept under lock and key, it is set 15 years after the events of the hit 2011 film. One focus is on the human scientists who are struggling to survive alone in San Francisco. Another aspect of the story is the struggle of intelligent ape Caesar, played by a returning Andy Serkis, to maintain dominance over his kingdom.
Oldman is coming on board to play a leader of the human resistance, a diplomatic type who has a military background and was, interestingly enough, a former police commissioner (at least in the current script).
Fox had no comment on the roles.
Apes is the latest franchise that Oldman has joined. The veteran actor is becoming a favorite of the fanboy nation with turns in the Harry Potter and Batman movie series and the recently wrapped shooting Robocop, MGM’s reboot that could turn into yet another franchise.
He is repped by APA, manager Douglas Urbanski and Loeb and Loeb.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
Follow Heat Vision
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack