George Lucas Tweaks Pivotal Darth Vader Scene in 'Star Wars' Blu-ray (Video)
Fans grumble online about a change to the audio of a climactic scene in the upcoming Blu-ray release of the "Star Wars" films.
Star Wars fans are girding themselves for the September 16 Blu-ray release of all six of George Lucas' epic films. It's not anticipation they're feeling so much as anxiety. Because with every new release of the films, beginning with the Special Editions in 1997, Lucas has gone back in to tweak and adjust and make changes to movies fans know frame by frame. The latest release is causing particular worries because of a clip leaked online that reveals a minor but significant change to a climactic scene in the final film, Return of the Jedi.
As first reported by Badass Digest, audio has been added to Darth Vader as he commits his final redemptive act by throwing the evil Emperor Palpatine down a shaft. In the original version of the film, Vader was silent as he did this. But in the new version, he cries out "No!" It's an echo of the "No!" the character cries out at the end of Revenge of the Sith, the third film in the chronology.
Though some thought maybe the clip was a fan-made hoax, Lucasfilm has since confirmed its authenticity.
And that isn't the only new change. The puppet Yoda seen in The Phantom Menace, the first film in the chronology, has been been replaced by a CGI Yoda. The cuddly Ewoks of Return of the Jedi now blink their eyes and Obi-Wan Kenboi creates a blood-curdling new shriek in A New Hope.
The other changes seem tolerable to fans, but its the "No!," one of the most widely-derided moments of Revenge of the Sith, that is causing much irritation.
As Star Wars fan and Lost co-creator Damon Lindelof noted on his Twitter: "I wonder if the [Lost] finale will be better appreciated if we have Vincent [the dog] shout "NOOOOOOOOO!" over the final shot."
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
Follow Heat Vision
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game