Gerard Butler Drops Out of 'Point Break' Remake (Exclusive)
Butler was to have played Bodhi, the Zen surfer and robber originally played by Patrick Swayze.
Gerard Butler has dropped out of Point Break, Alcon’s remake of the early 1990s classic action movie.
Butler was to have played the Zen-infused thief originally played by Patrick Swayze, opposite Luke Bracey, who is playing hotshot FBI agent Johnny Utah, originally played by Keanu Reeves.
Sources say that the parting of ways occurred because of a confluence of factors. There have been creative differences and a scheduling conflict: Point Break will start shooting in late June, lasting several months, and will take its actors to international locales. But Butler also has on his docket London Has Fallen, the sequel to Olympus Has Fallen, which shoots in the fall in London.
Insiders say Alcon is intent on maintaining its start date and will recast the part in the coming weeks.
Ericson Core is directing the movie, which has a script by Kurt Wimmer.
Alcon’s Broderick Johnson and Andrew Kosove are producing, along with John Baldecchi, Chris Taylor and Wimmer.
2014 Emmy Awards
Follow Heat Vision
- Failure, Alarms & After Parties: Chats with The Posies, Dry the River's Peter Liddle and Ghost Town's Kevin McCullough
- This Rapper Just Won The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge With Marijuana
- Emily Browning: If I Had Gotten That 'Twilight' Role, 'I Would Have Quit' Acting
- This Map Plots Where Your Favorite College Movies Were Filmed
- Sophia Bush Sends Congrats to Pal Aaron Paul For Emmy Win!
- Miles Teller on One-Night Stands: Don't Let Them Borrow Clothes Because 'You Will Not Get That Sh-t Back'
- Jennifer Aniston & Sandra Bullock Mock Chelsea Handler on 'Chelsea Lately' Finale
- Gerard Butler, Vanessa Hudgens, & Selena Gomez Sing Farewell to Chelsea Handler on 'Chelsea Lately'