'Ghostbusters 3' Hires New Writer, Will Feature 'New Generation' Cast
Dan Aykroyd says that the long-awaited third film in the sci-fi comedy series is on its way, albeit with a whole new set of stars.
Bill Murray may be out, but Dan Aykroyd hasn't stopped chasing the ghost.
The 60-year-old comedic actor has long pursued making a third Ghostbusters film, but was in part stymied by series co-star Murray's refusal to join in. In late February, Aykroyd admitted he couldn't get Murray to budge; fast forward to this week, and he's told the UK's Metro newspaper that there is a whole new concept at hand for the film.
"We've got a brilliant new writer on it and we'll be passing the torch on to a new generation," Aykroyd said. "We're working on it to make it just right to satisfy our fans. I'm confident we'll be in production in the next year."
As for Murray, he added, "It's sad but we're passing it on to a new generation. Ghostbusters 3 can be a successful movie without Bill. My preference would be to have him involved but at this point he doesn't seem to be coming and we have to move on. It's time to make the third one."
In February, Aykroyd said that there were no hard feelings between Murray and himself, despite the star's long-running refusal to do the film, and also shot down rumors that Murray had shred the script.
"Bill Murray is not capable of such behavior," he said. "This is simply something that would not be in his nature."
"Bill has too much positive estimation of my writing skills to shred the work."
Instead of Ghostbusters, Murray has been busy making films with Wes Anderson -- he appeared in the director's Moonrise Kingdom this summer -- and will star in the upcoming Inside the Mind of Charles Swan III with Charlie Sheen and Jason Schwartzman, and then play President Franklin Roosevelt in Hyde Park on Hudson.
Follow Heat Vision
- Before 'Game Of Thrones,' Pedro Pascal Was Getting His Ass Kicked On 'Buffy'
- Drew Barrymore Adds Fragrances To Flower Beauty Collection Making Us All Smell Better
- Guy Covers Every Single Part Of 'Prince Ali' From 'Aladdin'
- The Dumbest But Also Greatest Lyrics From Destiny's Child's 'Writings On The Wall'
- Orange Is the New Black’s Barbara Rosenblat on Playing Miss Rosa and Being ‘the Meryl Streep of Audiobooks’
- Why Are Movies the Only Kind of Entertainment We Still Have to Wait Around For?
- 7 Times Vin Diesel Gave a Wooden Performance (Before He Played a Tree in Guardians of the Galaxy)
- Chris Messina Is a Huge Cheater in This New Sam Smith Video
- Cate Blanchett Desperately Wanted to Play a Dwarf & Wear a Beard
- Katy Perry Sang for the President & First Lady Last Night at the White House!
- Kerry Washington & Jimmy Kimmel Bond Over Their Newborn Baby Girls!
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Opens Huge, Scores Biggest Thursday Evening Opening of the Year!