'Ghostbusters 3': Dan Aykroyd Spills Details on Plot
"We will be doing the movie and hopefully with" Bill Murray, the actor says.
It looks like the Ghostbusters will be back in action.
After months of speculation, Dan Aykroyd, one of the original stars, hinted Thursday on The Dennis Miller Show that the film could start shooting in the spring.
He added that Bill Murray has not yet committed to the project, but he and the creatives behind the film are hoping Murray signs on to reprise his role from the first two films.
"Yes, we will be doing the movie and hopefully with Mr. Murray," he said, as reported by ComingSoon.net. "That is our hope. We have an excellent script."
In March, Ivan Reitman expressed that same sentiment to The Hollywood Reporter, saying: "There’s a very good script that the other cast members have read and liked. We’re just waiting for Bill Murray to read it."
But on Thursday, Aykroyd argued that the movie could go forward without Murray should he decide not to return.
"What we have to remember is that Ghostbusters is bigger than any one component, although Billy was absolutely the lead and contributive to it in a massive way, as was the director and Harold [Ramis], myself and Sigourney [Weaver]," he said. "The concept is much larger than any individual role and the promise of Ghostbusters 3 is that we get to hand the equipment and the franchise down to new blood."
The story line, according to Aykroyd, will center around the original Ghostbusters' inability to effectively bust ghosts anymore, so they set out to find new recruits.
"My character, Ray, is now blind in one eye and can't drive the Cadillac," he says, "He's got a bad knee and can't carry the packs. ... Egon [Ramis' character] is too large to get into the harness. We need young blood and that's the promise. We're gonna hand it to a new generation."
It's unclear whether the fourth Ghostbuster, Ernie Hudson, would be part of the cast. In April, the actor said he had not been approached by anyone in the project.
"I haven't seen anybody with any money, but I hear it's happening, and I've been reading all the press stuff, and the fans have been telling me that it's on," he told TMZ.
Meanwhile, Aykroyd did say Thursday that there has been no casting decisions made, but one of his recommendations would be Criminal Minds actor Matthew Gray Gubler.
"There's going to be a casting," he added.":We're going to see everyone that wants to do it. We're going to need ... three guys and a young woman."
2014 Emmy Awards
Follow Heat Vision
- Jon Stewart Loves How Epic HuffPost Headlines Win The Internet
- Jesse Helt, Miley Cyrus' Date At The VMAs, Turns Himself In For Probation Violation
- Solo Concerts, Stealin' Home & Similar Skin: Chats with Bruce Hornsby, Iain Matthews and Umphrey's McGee...Plus!
- Jake 'The Snake' Roberts, Iconic Pro Wrestler, Hospitalized After Collapse
- Julianne Hough Snaps Selfies With Former DWTS Partner Helio Castroneves
- Rose McGowan Pours Pink Paint Over Charli XCX in 'Break The Rules' Music Video - Watch Here!
- Fergie Is Going to Miss the Bar at 'Chelsea Lately'
- Simon Cowell & Girlfriend Lauren Silverman Show Some Affection at 'X Factor UK' Press Launch!