'Ghostbusters 3' Targets Paul Feig as Director
UPDATED: Sources say the film will be a reboot focusing on female Ghostbusters.
After a long search, Sony is zeroing in on a director for Ghostbusters 3, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.
Paul Feig, director of Bridesmaids and The Heat, has emerged as the front-runner, according to sources, and Feig has shown interest in taking on the project. Sources caution that no formal negotiations have taken place and a lot must be worked out before the casual discussions turn serious and Feig accepts the job. But he is the studio's first choice, these sources said. Sony declined to comment.
Sources say the film will be a reboot focusing on female Ghostbusters.
The long in-development sequel previously had Ivan Reitman, the director of 1984's original Ghostbusters and 1989's Ghostbusters II, attached.
On March 18, Reitman exited the project and a new search for a helmer began. Several websites indicated that 22 Jump Street directors Phil Lord and Christopher Miller were in line for the job but those reports were inaccurate.
The original script was by Gene Stupnitsky and Lee Eisenberg — writers of NBC's The Office and the 2011 comedy Bad Teacher — and has been revised following the death of original castmember Harold Ramis on Feb. 24.
The story introduces new Ghostbusters and hands the baton from at least a couple of the originals. Dan Aykroyd has said he will return but Bill Murray has not committed.
Feig is also directing the action comedy Spy, starring Melissa McCarthy, for a Memorial Day 2015 release. He is repped by CAA and attorney Warren Dern.