'G.I. Joe' Director in Talks to Helm Disney's 'Matched'
The movie will reteam Jon Chu with his producers from "Step Up 2: The Streets" and "Step Up 3D."
Jon Chu, whose G.I. Joe: Retaliation opens in March, has lined up his next gig.
The director is in negotiations to direct Matched, Disney’s adaptation of Ally Condie’s futuristic YA novel. Adam Shankman and Jennifer Gibgot are producing via their Offspring Entertainment shingle.
Set in a future society where people are told what to read, what to watch, what to believe and who to love, the story centers on a young woman who rejects an arranged romance and chooses her own path.
Michelle and Kieran Mulroney (Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows) wrote the script.
David Slade was at one point circling the project, but a deal never was consummated.
Chu previously worked with Shankman and Gibgot when he directed Step Up 2: The Streets and Step Up 3D and is known for his musical and dance leanings. That background is expected to come into play with Retaliation, with spots for the movie showcasing a nimbly choreographed sequence featuring ninjas fighting while swinging off a cliff.
Chu is repped by WME, Principato Young Entertainment and Stone Meyer.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
Follow Heat Vision
- Kim Kardashian's Nuptials to Kanye West Could Be the Wedding of the Century!
- Miranda Kerr Will Chop Off Her Long Hair One Day, Be Prepared!
- Katie Holmes Shows Star Power Right Before Tribeca Film Festival Kicks Off!
- Ryan Lochte & Ireland Baldwin Are Proud American Icons for Calvin Klein White Label's Campaign!