'G.I. Joe' Director in Talks to Helm Disney's 'Matched'
The movie will reteam Jon Chu with his producers from "Step Up 2: The Streets" and "Step Up 3D."
Jon Chu, whose G.I. Joe: Retaliation opens in March, has lined up his next gig.
The director is in negotiations to direct Matched, Disney’s adaptation of Ally Condie’s futuristic YA novel. Adam Shankman and Jennifer Gibgot are producing via their Offspring Entertainment shingle.
Set in a future society where people are told what to read, what to watch, what to believe and who to love, the story centers on a young woman who rejects an arranged romance and chooses her own path.
Michelle and Kieran Mulroney (Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows) wrote the script.
David Slade was at one point circling the project, but a deal never was consummated.
Chu previously worked with Shankman and Gibgot when he directed Step Up 2: The Streets and Step Up 3D and is known for his musical and dance leanings. That background is expected to come into play with Retaliation, with spots for the movie showcasing a nimbly choreographed sequence featuring ninjas fighting while swinging off a cliff.
Chu is repped by WME, Principato Young Entertainment and Stone Meyer.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
Follow Heat Vision
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack