Gillen, McKelvie Call Out 'The Wicked & The Divine'
New series from the critically-acclaimed "Young Avengers" creators will "push the boundaries" of what they're capable of.
No sooner have Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie wrapped up a run on Marvel's Young Avengers, which was beloved by both fans and critics -- their last issue was released yesterday -- than they're announcing a brand-new series to launch later this year from Image Comics, The Wicked & The Divine.
"We wanted to do something new," Gillen said of the series, which deals with the concept of gods being reincarnated in human bodies for two years at a time. "This has gone on forever. These people speak in tongues, they perform secretive miracles. They are loved, they are hated, they are brilliant. And in two years, they are dead."
"I'm really excited for pushing the boundaries of what we've done so far," McKelvie told the Image Expo audience. "We pushed a lot of boundaries in Young Avengers, and that feels like just the start." Gillen and McKelvie will co-create the first and third arcs of the series, with McKelvie taking the second arc off to collaborate with Gillen on their long-awaited third volume of Phonogram.
"There are literally no limits to what we can do," Gillen said of the pair's collaborations with Image Comics. "That's kind of what being a creator is about."
The Wicked & The Divine launches this summer.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
Follow Heat Vision
- Neil LaBute Q&A: The Controversial Playwright Talks About His L.A. Theater Takeover
- Top Off-Broadway Shows to Watch in NYC This Season: Part One
- Megan Fox Is Not Thrilled About The 'Girl Power' That Was Cut From 'TMNT'
- Keith Olbermann's Powerful Speech About Lack Of Respect For Women In Sports Is A Must Watch