When Gollum Met Caesar: Andy Serkis Befriends Himself (Video)
The "Lord of the Rings" and "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" actor reveals what his two famous characters would talk about if they called each other during an appearance on TBS' "Conan."
Thanks to his roles in Peter Jackson’s Lord of the Rings and Hobbit movies and the rebooted Planet of the Apes franchise, Andy Serkis is a well-connected actor in genre circles. But during an appearance on TBS’ Conan, he revealed what would happen if his characters from both franchises had a crossover.
Admittedly, the prospect of Caesar and Gollum (not to mention Smeagol) having a phone conversation about Conan O’Brien and Andy Richter probably wasn’t what most fans of either J.R.R. Tolkien or super-intelligent apes would have in mind if the idea of a Lord of the Planet of the Ring Apes crossover were suggested — everyone knows that Gollum would never answer when you called — but the video below is worth watching just to see how easily Serkis can switch in and out of the two voices.
Serkis was on the show promoting Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, and in addition to the acting out the conversation between his two most famous characters, he also explained about the various vocalizations audiences can expect from the apes in the new movie. He did not, however, spill any beans about the character he’ll be playing in next year’s Star Wars: Episode VII, but we can look forward to inevitable chat show meetings between that character, Gollum and multiple primates at some point in the future.
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, directed by Matt Reeves, will be released July 11.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
Follow Heat Vision
- 'Hot Tub Time Machine 2' Trailer Is The Funniest Thing On LouNet
- Mick Jagger Energizes "A Most Wanted Man" Premiere...Hot Stuff Coming to Broadway: "It's Only a Play" and "A Delicate Balance"--Plan in Advance!
- Fifty Shades Of Grey Adorable Animals: The Version You Aren't Embarrassed To Read In Public
- Eva Longoria Tells America Latino Doesn't Mean Immigrant
- Christopher Nolan Just Brought a New Interstellar Trailer to Comic-Con
- Comic-Con: Everything Benedict Cumberbatch Said That Made Women Scream
- 50 Shades of Grey and The Devil Wears Prada Are Basically the Same Movie
- Chris Carter on Area 51, Playing Softball With Brandon Tartikoff, and the TV Musical in His Closet