'Green Lantern's' Ryan Reynolds: 5 Things You Didn't Know
Warner Bros.’ adaptation of DC Comics’ superhero tale hits theaters today.
Ryan Reynolds stars in Warner Bros.' adaptation of DC Comics' Green Lantern, out Friday. Here are five things you may now know about the actor.
1. He got engaged to Alanis Morissette in 2004; they called it off in 2007 -- and she wrote her next album, Flavors of Entanglement, about their breakup. One year later, he married Scarlett Johansson, but they filed for divorce in December 2010.
2. Reynolds ran the New York City Marathon (26.2 miles) in October 2008 to raise money for Parkinson's Disease, which afflicts his father. He wrote on HuffingtonPost.com of his decision: "A year and a half ago, I had the privilege of meeting Mr. Michael J. Fox. Like so many before me, I found it impossible not to be touched by his story of overwhelming strength, passion and relentless commitment to help those afflicted with this insidious disease. The man is inspiration exemplified. Plus, he was in Back To The Future. Which was, well, awesome. In a moment of extremely poor judgment, I offered to do something big for him--I offered to compete in the New York City Marathon. Which was, well... dumb."
3. He was born in Vancouver and is the youngest of four brothers. He dropped out of Vancouver's Kwantlen College.
4. What attracted Reynolds to the Green Lantern role? The space-epic nature of it," Reynolds said at the MTV Movie Awards earlier this month. "I just loved that you had this film that was an origin story, that's not really starting in the third act like a lot of them do. I grew up with movies like that. I love movies like that. So just to be part of it was mind-boggling."
5. This isn't Reynolds' first superhero. He played Deadpool in X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Still, he says there were challenges to play the Green Lantern, such as flying through the air 60 mph attached to a wire. "The first time you do it, you’re seriously considering an adult diaper," he joked.
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR