Guillermo Del Toro Plugs 'Claustrophobic' 'Mama' Short (Video)
The three-minute piece convinced the filmmaker to come on board as executive producer of the feature-length horror film from director Andres Muschietti.
Guillermo Del Toro has recorded an introduction to the short film Mama, which attracted him to the project and helped director and co-writer Andres Muschietti’s film get made into a feature.
“The short was essentially one of the scariest little scenes I’ve ever seen,” said Del Toro, executive producer of the feature version. “It was also incredibly well-made. … very claustrophobic. Really atmospheric. Really, really scary. You’re going to see the craftsmanship, ingenuity and the horror that really made me want to come in and produce the feature version of Mama.”
The feature-length version stars Jessica Chastain (Zero Dark Thirty), Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Game of Thrones), Megan Charpentier and Isabelle Nelisse. The story centers on two little girls who survived in the wild for five years after their parents died. When the girls are found and taken into the home of their uncle and his wife, it becomes apparent a spirit who may or may not be their mother is still watching over them.
The film from Universal Pictures is slated for a Jan. 18, 2013 release.
Watch the video, as well as the second trailer for the feature-length version below.
Health & Hollywood
THR @ TORONTO
Follow Heat Vision
- David Lynch Thinks No One Will Ever Agree on What Eraserhead Is About
- Report: 7 More Actresses Are Being Considered for True Detective Lead
- My Father Was James Brown. I Watched Him Beat My Mother. And Then I Found Myself With Someone Like Dad.
- Abbi and Ilana Talk Cereal in This World Premiere of Their Web Series Hack Into Broad City
- Geoff Stults & Colin Egglesfield Go Shirtless at Nautica Triathlon!
- Lady Gaga Celebrates The Late Paul Horn with 'Nature Boy' Tony Bennett Duet - Listen Now!
- Kristen Bell & Husband Dax Shephard Look Perfect Together at 'This Is Where I Leave You' Premiere
- Rihanna Slams CBS For Pulling Her Song From Thursday Night Football Intro