Guillermo Del Toro Plugs 'Claustrophobic' 'Mama' Short (Video)
The three-minute piece convinced the filmmaker to come on board as executive producer of the feature-length horror film from director Andres Muschietti.
Guillermo Del Toro has recorded an introduction to the short film Mama, which attracted him to the project and helped director and co-writer Andres Muschietti’s film get made into a feature.
“The short was essentially one of the scariest little scenes I’ve ever seen,” said Del Toro, executive producer of the feature version. “It was also incredibly well-made. … very claustrophobic. Really atmospheric. Really, really scary. You’re going to see the craftsmanship, ingenuity and the horror that really made me want to come in and produce the feature version of Mama.”
The feature-length version stars Jessica Chastain (Zero Dark Thirty), Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Game of Thrones), Megan Charpentier and Isabelle Nelisse. The story centers on two little girls who survived in the wild for five years after their parents died. When the girls are found and taken into the home of their uncle and his wife, it becomes apparent a spirit who may or may not be their mother is still watching over them.
The film from Universal Pictures is slated for a Jan. 18, 2013 release.
Watch the video, as well as the second trailer for the feature-length version below.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
Follow Heat Vision
- Masters Of Sex, Girls & "Boogie Train": Conversations with Michael Penn and Foghat's Roger Earl
- The Americans 'New Car' Recap: "I'm a Good Person, I Swear!"
- The Extremely Hard Lessons That the Themed Entertainment Industry Learned From Hard Rock Park
- Joe Biden Posts First Selfie With None Other Than President Obama