Guillermo del Toro Comes Face to Face with Giant Inspiration (Video)
What happens when "Pacific Rim" director del Toro discovers a life-sized Gundam robot? A Japanese news report captured his adorable awed reaction.
If you managed to make it through Pacific Rim without realizing that director Guillermo del Toro really, really loves giant robot fiction, then perhaps this ridiculously charming video will finally convince you of that fact.
The video comes from a Japanese television report promoting Pacific Rim's release in that country with del Toro and two of the movie's stars, Rinko Kikuchi and Mana Ashida, touring DiverCity Tokyo Plaza on the man-made island of Odaiba. DiverCity is home to around 1,000 Gundam models, including a life-sized -- "giant" -- statue. It's del Toro's reaction to that model in particular that's so wonderful. (Skip to 3:08 to see it.)
Just look at the awe on his face when he sees it. There is no way to see that and not feel a pang of "one of us!" nerd affection for del Toro. I wonder if there's any way a deal can be worked out for a Pacific Rim sequel that manages to cross over into Mobile Suit Gundam continuity…?
Health & Hollywood
THR @ TORONTO
Follow Heat Vision
- That Story About the Django Unchained Actress Handcuffed for ‘Kissing While Black’ Just Got More Complicated
- Watch a Supercut of Every Impression Bill Hader Did on SNL
- See the Beautiful Book Jacket for Jami Attenberg’s Saint Mazie
- Do I Have Enough Time to Catch Up on Scandal? Your Pressing TV Questions, Answered
- Sarah Jessica Parker & Kate Hudson Are Fashion Muses for THR's Top Designers
- Matt Bomer's Robot Hand Won't Let Go of Liv Tyler's Breast in 'Space Station 76' Clip (Exclusive)
- Chloe Moretz: Denzel Washington is a 'Master Class in Acting'
- Jamie Foxx Releases 'Party Ain't a Party,' First New Song Since 2010