Guillermo del Toro Comes Face to Face with Giant Inspiration (Video)
What happens when "Pacific Rim" director del Toro discovers a life-sized Gundam robot? A Japanese news report captured his adorable awed reaction.
If you managed to make it through Pacific Rim without realizing that director Guillermo del Toro really, really loves giant robot fiction, then perhaps this ridiculously charming video will finally convince you of that fact.
The video comes from a Japanese television report promoting Pacific Rim's release in that country with del Toro and two of the movie's stars, Rinko Kikuchi and Mana Ashida, touring DiverCity Tokyo Plaza on the man-made island of Odaiba. DiverCity is home to around 1,000 Gundam models, including a life-sized -- "giant" -- statue. It's del Toro's reaction to that model in particular that's so wonderful. (Skip to 3:08 to see it.)
Just look at the awe on his face when he sees it. There is no way to see that and not feel a pang of "one of us!" nerd affection for del Toro. I wonder if there's any way a deal can be worked out for a Pacific Rim sequel that manages to cross over into Mobile Suit Gundam continuity…?
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
Follow Heat Vision
- William Guarnere Dead: 'Band Of Brothers' Vet Dies At 90
- "Spike In My Veins": Talking with Korn's Jonathan Davis, A Chat with Skaters' Michael Ian Cummings and a Break of Reality Exclusive
- The MovieFilm Podcast: Remembering Ghostbusters, Plus Aaron Paul on Need For Speed
- 'Looking' Season 1 Is Refreshing Despite Some Characterization Flaws