Guillermo del Toro's 'Pacific Rim' Unveils Giant Monster in New Footage (Video)
The film hits theaters July 12, 2013, and tells of humanity fighting huge creatures using robots.
San Francisco is under attack in a video giving an early look at Guillermo del Toro's upcoming monsters vs robots film, Pacific Rim.
In the video, released Wednesday as part of a viral campaign to promote the movie, news footage captures the chaos as a 300-ft monster emerges from beneath the Golden Gate Bridge and destroys a good chunk of the Bay area before it's finally brought down by fighter pilots.
Pacific Rim features a human race fighting giant monsters (Kaijus) using equally massive robots (Jaegers).
“I went against the grain. What normally the big blockbusters tend to adopt is a very impersonal, a very cool -- almost the style of a recruitment video for the Army [with] long lenses, steel blues, polished metal,” del Toro said. “I think when you create images that are beautiful about things that are normally not beautiful, they have a haunting sense of poetry.”
The film from Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures stars Rinko Kikuchi, Charlie Hunnam, Idris Elba, Ron Perlman and Charlie Day. It hits theaters in 2D and 3D July 12, 2013.
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
Follow Heat Vision
- Patrick Dempsey Won't Give Up a Racing Season Unless He Finds an Acting Role That's Worthwhile
- Nicole Richie Hits Disneyland with Jennifer Meyer After 'Candidly Nicole' Premieres!
- Ellen Page Named PETA's Sexiest Female Vegetarian
- Britney Spears' Unedited 'Alien' Was Vocal Warm-Up Session, Producer Says