Guillermo del Toro's 'Pacific Rim' Unveils Giant Monster in New Footage (Video)
The film hits theaters July 12, 2013, and tells of humanity fighting huge creatures using robots.
San Francisco is under attack in a video giving an early look at Guillermo del Toro's upcoming monsters vs robots film, Pacific Rim.
In the video, released Wednesday as part of a viral campaign to promote the movie, news footage captures the chaos as a 300-ft monster emerges from beneath the Golden Gate Bridge and destroys a good chunk of the Bay area before it's finally brought down by fighter pilots.
Pacific Rim features a human race fighting giant monsters (Kaijus) using equally massive robots (Jaegers).
“I went against the grain. What normally the big blockbusters tend to adopt is a very impersonal, a very cool -- almost the style of a recruitment video for the Army [with] long lenses, steel blues, polished metal,” del Toro said. “I think when you create images that are beautiful about things that are normally not beautiful, they have a haunting sense of poetry.”
The film from Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures stars Rinko Kikuchi, Charlie Hunnam, Idris Elba, Ron Perlman and Charlie Day. It hits theaters in 2D and 3D July 12, 2013.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
Follow Heat Vision
- Bryan Singer, 'X-Men' Director, Calls Suit A 'Sick, Twisted Shakedown'
- The Club 47 Folk Revival Explores the Iconic History of Old Cambridge Folk Club
- Jack Kilmer Talks 'Palo Alto,' His Acting Career And Growing Up With Famous Parents
- Lupita Nyong'o and America's Complicated Relationship With Beauty