'Harbinger' to Kill One of Its Core Cast
Death comes to the Valiant Universe this summer -- and the publisher promises that, for this superhero universe, characters that die will stay dead.
The issue of death is one that's proven to be particularly problematic, as well as somewhat telling, when it comes to superhero comics. For both Marvel and DC, death is but a temporary inconvenience (consider the number of heroes who have failed to stay dead in both fictional universes over the last few years), but other publishers don't have the same reluctance to let dead mean dead -- a fact that makes Valiant's new "Death of a Renegade" storyline particularly important.
The three-part storyline begins in Harbinger #22, with the publisher promising that it will feature the death of one of the series' five teen leads -- who have been calling themselves "the renegades" for some time -- at the hands of Toyo Harada, leader of the Harbinger Foundation.
"To be honest, I don't want any of them to die, but that's just the way it's going down," writer Joshua Dysart told USA Today, adding that the decision of which character will die had "little to do with the future story potential of the characters and more to do with what felt the most natural to the book in the moment."
The death of the unnamed character will come as a "huge blow" to the series, according to Dysart, with executive editor Warren Simons promising that the publisher is "going to stick to this death" no matter what in the future, jokingly apologizing to fans who expect a resurrection within a couple of years.
Harbinger #22 will be released in April.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
Follow Heat Vision
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game