Helena Bonham Carter to Play Fairy Godmother in Disney's 'Cinderella' (Exclusive)
Kenneth Branagh is directing the live-action fantasy, which already has Cate Blanchett playing the role of the wicked stepmother.
Helena Bonham Carter has nabbed the plum role, or perhaps it’s the pumpkin role, of the fairy godmother in Disney’s live-action version of Cinderella.
Kenneth Branagh is directing the movie project, which sees Lily James in the title role, Cate Blanchett as the wicked stepmother and Game of Thrones' Richard Madden as the prince. Sophie McShera (Downton Abbey) and Holliday Granger (The Borgias) are playing the stepsisters.
The fairy godmother will be getting more screen time in this version than in Disney’s classic animated movie, with the character disguised as an old beggar who watches over Cinderella before revealing herself as the magical being she truly is.
Simon Kinberg, Allison Shearmur and David Barron are producing the fantasy and are planning a fall shoot in London.
Bonham Carter is no stranger to Disney, having played the Red Queen in 2010’s Alice in Wonderland, and appears in the studio’s big summer tentpole, The Lone Ranger, which reunites her with Johnny Depp.
Bonham Carter is repped by WME, Schiff Co.,and Conway van Gelder Grant in the U.K.
Health & Hollywood
THR @ TORONTO
Follow Heat Vision
- Dark Graphic Novella Pays Tribute To The 10th Anniversary Of Arcade Fire's 'Funeral'
- Scientists Show Hitchcock Thriller To 'Vegetative' Man, Get Big Surprise
- Nick Jonas On How Fans Have Helped Him Transition From Band Member To Solo Artist
- Kim Kardashian Asks Nasim Pedrad About That 'SNL' Impression
- Jenny McCarthy Hasn't Watched 'The View' Yet: 'I've Been Hearing Mixed Reviews'
- Kirsten Dunst Doesn't Like Watching Herself On Screen
- Ariana Grande's Rumored Boyfriend Big Sean Says They Have 'Great Chemistry'
- Julianna Margulies & Jimmy Fallon Are Hilarious School Principals Who Sing the Morning Announcements (Video)