'The Hobbit': Peter Jackson Live-Blogging Final Day on Set
The director shares the harrowing details of his Middle-earth swan song over Facebook.
“Ever since starting these blogs, there's been something I thought I'd like to try one day … blogging throughout a shoot day in real time. Try to give you all a feeling for what we deal with on an average day,” Jackson wrote on Facebook at around 6:30 a.m. New Zealand time.
He arrived at the studio at 8:20 a.m., declaring it’s not his “favourite time of the day.”
“When I drive to the studio, I usually feel nervous, and the day seems daunting. 100 people are about to look to me to find out what our first shot is, what lens I want to use, and how many set-ups it's going to take to get the scene finished,” he wrote. “Some of the time I have a plan, and some of the time I wing it. It helps to rehearse with the actors, and the ideas (hopefully good ones) start flowing."
Next, Jackson got to the nuts and bolt of filmmaking, including scheduling shooting time on different stages.
”Two huge wide shots of a fight happening on an enormous set that filling most of K Stage. This is going to be hard, posting pics without spoilers,” he wrote.
Jackson wrote the day had a “messy start” because they were making up for things they didn't finish the day before, and joked he hoped Warner Bros. wouldn't see that part of his Facebook post.
“Too much detail! But this is the type of thing we're always dealing with,” he wrote. “I do have to get a Facebook filter quickly written, so Warner Bros doesn't read that we didn't get yesterday finished!”
At 10:30 a.m. New Zealand time, Jackson wrote he had to explain to actor Graham McTavish (Dwalin) why they had to shoot his fight scene in front of a green screen rather than their “beautiful expensive set as planned.”
“Graham started sharpening his axe, so I just told them to read my last Facebook posting and I fled,” Jackson wrote. “We've shot 3 shots on K Stage so far this morning. 2 more to go, and we're shifting to F Stage. Hopefully before the lunch break! Could be a long night ...”
Jackson and his team are shooting scenes for the third installment, The Hobbit: There and Back Again, due in theaters Dec. 17, 2014.
For more from Jackson, visit his Facebook page.
2014 Emmy Awards
Follow Heat Vision
- Failure, Alarms & After Parties: Chats with The Posies, Dry the River's Peter Liddle and Ghost Town's Kevin McCullough
- This Rapper Just Won The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge With Marijuana
- Emily Browning: If I Had Gotten That 'Twilight' Role, 'I Would Have Quit' Acting
- This Map Plots Where Your Favorite College Movies Were Filmed
- Gerard Butler, Vanessa Hudgens, & Selena Gomez Sing Farewell to Chelsea Handler on 'Chelsea Lately'
- Chris Hemsworth Gets to Showcase Comedic Side in 'Vacation'
- Nude Chelsea Handler Gets Confronted By Ellen DeGeneres In Funny 'Chelsea Lately' Finale Skit - Watch Now!
- Breaking Bad's Bryan Cranston & Anna Gunn Step Out After Their Big Emmy Wins!