'The Hobbit' Rounds Out Cast with Billy Connolly in Key Role
Scottish actor Billy Connolly is joining the cast of Peter Jackson’s two-part adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit.
In the films, Connolly will play Dain Ironfoot, a great dwarf warrior and cousin of Thorin Oakenshield.
“We could not think of a more fitting actor to play Dain Ironfoot, the staunchest and toughest of Dwarves, than Billy Connelly, the Big Yin himself," Jackson said in a statement to THR. "With Billy stepping into this role, the cast of The Hobbit is now complete. We can't wait to see him on the Battlefield!"
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, will hit theaters December 14 from Warner Bros./New Line and MGM. The second film, The Hobbit: There and Back Again, will follow on December 13, 2013.
The cast includes Ian McKellen, who returns to his Lord of the Rings role as Gandalf the Grey, and Martin Freeman stars as Bilbo Baggins. Cate Blanchett, Ian Holm, Christopher Lee, Hugo Weaving, Elijah Wood, Orlando Bloom and Andy Serkis are reprising their roles from Rings.
Jackson is scripting both movies with Fran Walsh, Philippa Boyens and Guillermo del Toro. Jackson is also producing the films, together with Walsh and Carolynne Cunningham. Executive producers are Alan Horn, Ken Kamins, Toby Emmerich and Zane Weiner, with Boyens serving as co-producer.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
Follow Heat Vision
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)