'The Host': Saoirse Ronan Reveals Her Favorite Scene
The film, co-starring Max Irons, Jake Abel and Diane Kruger, hits theaters March 29.
Clocking in at two hours and five minutes, The Host provides plenty of screentime for lead actress Saoirse Ronan.
[Warning: spoilers below if you have not read the book]
And with scenes that find her nearly drowning, trekking through the hot desert in kitten heels, getting punched in the face, kissing violently and addressing the camera head-on with tears in her eyes, it’s no surprise that the young actress chooses a more mellow moment as her favorite of the film.
“Apart from the hitting scene,” she jokes, “my favorite scene to shoot was the scene with William Hurt where Uncle Jeb comes into the cell that I am in and apologizes for what they have done to the Souls.”
In an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, Ronan says that she valued the simplicity of the moment while still injecting drama and emotion into the scene.
“It was – I hope, anyway – underplayed from both of us,” she says. “I love doing scenes like that, because we didn’t really have any moments like that, where it was that still and that quiet. Also, just working with [Hurt], he’s so brilliant and I really do respect him, so it was great to have a scene with him on my own.”
If your copy of Stephenie Meyer’s alien novel is a little dusty these days, Ronan is referring to the moments after Wanda/Melanie retreat to their miniature prison upon finding Doc attempting to remove Souls from human bodies. In that moment, Wanda expresses her shock and horror at the scene, which includes the silvery blood of her fellow Souls strewn throughout the room.
The Host, directed by Andrew Niccol and co-starring Max Irons, Jake Abel and Diane Kruger, opens nationwide via Open Road Films on March 29.
In a previous interview with THR, Niccol confessed that Ronan was his first and only choice for the role of Melanie and Wanda, the alien Soul that inhabits her body. But Ronan says that she was only recently made aware of his revelation.
"He wouldn't say that [to me]," she admits. "That is nice, but I didn't know when we were shooting, which is probably a good thing...Not knowing meant I probably felt the need to impress him more."
Email: Sophie.Schillaci@THR.com; Twitter: @SophieSchillaci
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
Follow Heat Vision
- Chrissy Teigen's Optical Illusion Ensemble Is Making Us Do A Double Take
- Jon Stewart Mocks Media 'Chaos' Over Obamacare Ruling
- North West Takes Her First Steps, Kim Posts Adorable Picture After Swimming Lesson
- The Aquabats! celebrate their 20th anniversary at Comic-Con as they ponder the group's next move
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Trailer Starring Shirtless Jamie Dornan & Dakota Johnson is Finally Here & It's Super Steamy - Watch Now!
- Jennifer Morrison Arrives On Set for 'Once Upon a Time' & It's Getting Us Pumped for Season Four!
- Karlie Kloss Reveals the Secret to Her Amazing Abs
- Juno Temple Grabs Lunch with Her Mom in NYC After New 'Horns' Poster Released