'Hunger Games' Getting Help From Director Steven Soderbergh
The "Ocean's Eleven" director is taking the helm for a portion of second unit shooting on the Lionsgate adaptation.
The Hunger Games is being directed by Gary Ross, but the big-screen adaptation of the popular Suzanne Collins novels is getting some help from an unlikely person: Steven Soderbergh.
Soderbergh, who directed The Informant, Ocean's Eleven and Erin Brokovich, is taking the helm for part of second unit shooting on the Lionsgate film, The Hollywood Reporter confirms.
"Soderbergh in the house this weekend!!!," a film's production designer tweeted. Another person working on the film wrote, "Holy shit! Just found out that Steven Soderbergh is coming to the #hungergames to direct 2nd Unit."
According to Indiewire, which first reported the news, Ross and Soderbergh have been pals for several years. Soderbergh was a producer on the Reese Witherspoon-Tobey Maguire film Pleasantville, which Ross directed.
Hunger Games is slated for a March 23, 2012 release. Soderbergh will head to the Venice Film Festival later this year to debut the Matt Damon feature Contagion and Haywire is set to be released Jan. 20, 2012.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Film Festival Unveils Star-Studded Lineup for 67th Edition
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
Follow Heat Vision
- Four Scandal Actors Pick Their Characters’ Favorite Monologues
- James Franco Calls Times Theater Critic a ‘Little Bitch’ and Suggests He Work for Gawker
- See New Photos of Hannah and Adam Together on the Next Season of Girls
- Under the Skin, Only Lovers Left Alive, and a Brief History of the Art-Horror Film