'Hunger Games' Getting Help From Director Steven Soderbergh
The "Ocean's Eleven" director is taking the helm for a portion of second unit shooting on the Lionsgate adaptation.
The Hunger Games is being directed by Gary Ross, but the big-screen adaptation of the popular Suzanne Collins novels is getting some help from an unlikely person: Steven Soderbergh.
Soderbergh, who directed The Informant, Ocean's Eleven and Erin Brokovich, is taking the helm for part of second unit shooting on the Lionsgate film, The Hollywood Reporter confirms.
"Soderbergh in the house this weekend!!!," a film's production designer tweeted. Another person working on the film wrote, "Holy shit! Just found out that Steven Soderbergh is coming to the #hungergames to direct 2nd Unit."
According to Indiewire, which first reported the news, Ross and Soderbergh have been pals for several years. Soderbergh was a producer on the Reese Witherspoon-Tobey Maguire film Pleasantville, which Ross directed.
Hunger Games is slated for a March 23, 2012 release. Soderbergh will head to the Venice Film Festival later this year to debut the Matt Damon feature Contagion and Haywire is set to be released Jan. 20, 2012.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
Follow Heat Vision
- 'Hot Tub Time Machine 2' Trailer Is The Funniest Thing On LouNet
- Mick Jagger Energizes "A Most Wanted Man" Premiere...Hot Stuff Coming to Broadway: "It's Only a Play" and "A Delicate Balance"--Plan in Advance!
- Fifty Shades Of Grey Adorable Animals: The Version You Aren't Embarrassed To Read In Public
- Eva Longoria Tells America Latino Doesn't Mean Immigrant
- Christopher Nolan Just Brought a New Interstellar Trailer to Comic-Con
- Comic-Con: Everything Benedict Cumberbatch Said That Made Women Scream
- 50 Shades of Grey and The Devil Wears Prada Are Basically the Same Movie
- Chris Carter on Area 51, Playing Softball With Brandon Tartikoff, and the TV Musical in His Closet