'Hunger Games': How Stanley Tucci Transformed into the Extravagant Caesar Flickman (Video)
The actor tells THR he was “very involved” in the process of creating his physical embodiment of the eccentric character.
Stanley Tucci may have one of the most recognizable faces in Hollywood, but the actor pulled out all the stops to bring the outrageous and eclectic Caesar Flickman to life in The Hunger Games.
In Gary Ross’ adaptation of Suzanne Collins’ beloved novel, out March 23, Tucci plays the flashy television host who provides commentary on the dreaded life-or-death competition. To readers of the book, the character of Flickman is known to be colorful, over-the-top and eccentric.
From false teeth to a bright blue wig, Tucci detailed his dramatic transformation during an interview with The Hollywood Reporter at the film’s Los Angeles premiere.
“I was in London making a movie and we knew what we wanted the fellow to look like,” he said of his involvement with the character’s physical development. “Then we experimented with stuff I said, ‘I'd like to try teeth. I'd like to try some noses. I want him to have a tan. We have to really make it look like he has plastic surgery.’”
Flickman ultimately appears with slicked back, colorful hair to match not only his colorful suits – but also his dyed eyebrows. Beneath a heavily made-up face, Tucci flashes a blinding white smile while the cameras roll on his interviews with newly minted tributes Katniss (Jennifer Lawrence) and Peeta (Josh Hutchinson).
“The noses ultimately didn't work,” Tucci confessed. “But all the other stuff ended up working.”
While Lenny Kravitz, playing Katniss’ stylist Cinna, keeps it simple with gold liner on his upper eyelids, the rest of the Capitol characters maintain the outlandish appearances dreamt up by Collins. Among the most unrecognizable actors is Elizabeth Banks as Effie Trinket, the government escort who transports Katniss and Peeta from their homes in District 12 to the dreaded Games.
“It was a collaboration from the beginning to the end,” Banks told THR of her own transformation. “We just had amazing people to work with -- the hair and makeup and costume teams, all Academy Award nominated -- and we had a lot of fun.”
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
Follow Heat Vision
- 10 Reimagined Disney Posters Bring Your Favorite Childhood Characters Back To Life
- DOCUMENTARY: How One Email Changed One Guy's Life... Forever
- Miley Cyrus Shows Off Her Sex Toy On Twitter, Should Seriously Be Taught What TMI Means
- Here's Everything Wrong With 'Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull'
- Diane Kruger Ties Up Her Shirt to Reveal Her Flat Stomach
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt Reenacts YouTube Viral Sensation 'David at the Dentist' - Watch Now!
- Michelle Obama Hosts Women in Soul Event, President Barack Obama Flubs Spelling of Aretha Franklin's 'Respect'
- Find Out How Oprah Winfrey Got Fooled By Princess Diana!