More than 2,000 Shows of ‘Hunger Games’ Already Sold Out
Fandango announces record numbers for the Gary Ross-directed film out Friday.
The Hunger Games is off to a killer start at the box office -- more than two days ahead of its release.
The wildly anticipated big-screen adaptation of Suzanne Collins' dystopian best-selling novel has presold out nearly 2,000 screens, Fandango announced Tuesday. The company said that the film is garnering 92% of its daily sales and has already surpassed the first Twilight film's presales numbers.
Directed by Gary Ross and starring Jennifer Lawrence as the protagonist teen warrior Katniss Everdeen, the film is riding off a massive marketing campaign as well as more than 26 million books from the trilogy sold.
Tracking estimates put its box-office take at $85 million at the most conservative, with studio insiders saying that it could reach between $130 million to $140 million. That could put it higher than the opening $138.1 million taken in by Breaking Dawn, Part 1, the most recent Twilight film. The film is Fandango's most successful March presale ever.
What Hollywood Earns
Follow Heat Vision
- Allow One Direction To Romance You In Their 'Night Changes' Music Video
- 2014 Latin Grammys Shared The Spotlight With Obama But Still Shone Brightly
- Chatting with Chris Botti and Madeleine Peyroux, Plus Twin Hidden Covers "Yellow Flicker Beat"
- Taylor Swift And Selena Gomez Have A Super Fun Girls Night With Ellie Goulding
- Connie Britton & Taylor Kitsch Have a 'Friday Night Lights' Reunion
- One Direction Take The Cutest Selfie Ever On 'Kimmel' & Premiere 'Night Changes' Music Video
- Prince Harry Calls Out Charities 'Built Around Egos'