More than 2,000 Shows of ‘Hunger Games’ Already Sold Out
Fandango announces record numbers for the Gary Ross-directed film out Friday.
The Hunger Games is off to a killer start at the box office -- more than two days ahead of its release.
The wildly anticipated big-screen adaptation of Suzanne Collins' dystopian best-selling novel has presold out nearly 2,000 screens, Fandango announced Tuesday. The company said that the film is garnering 92% of its daily sales and has already surpassed the first Twilight film's presales numbers.
Directed by Gary Ross and starring Jennifer Lawrence as the protagonist teen warrior Katniss Everdeen, the film is riding off a massive marketing campaign as well as more than 26 million books from the trilogy sold.
Tracking estimates put its box-office take at $85 million at the most conservative, with studio insiders saying that it could reach between $130 million to $140 million. That could put it higher than the opening $138.1 million taken in by Breaking Dawn, Part 1, the most recent Twilight film. The film is Fandango's most successful March presale ever.
Follow Heat Vision
- Before 'Game Of Thrones,' Pedro Pascal Was Getting His Ass Kicked On 'Buffy'
- Drew Barrymore Adds Fragrances To Flower Beauty Collection Making Us All Smell Better
- Guy Covers Every Single Part Of 'Prince Ali' From 'Aladdin'
- The Dumbest But Also Greatest Lyrics From Destiny's Child's 'Writings On The Wall'
- Orange Is the New Black’s Barbara Rosenblat on Playing Miss Rosa and Being ‘the Meryl Streep of Audiobooks’
- Why Are Movies the Only Kind of Entertainment We Still Have to Wait Around For?
- 7 Times Vin Diesel Gave a Wooden Performance (Before He Played a Tree in Guardians of the Galaxy)
- Chris Messina Is a Huge Cheater in This New Sam Smith Video
- Cate Blanchett Desperately Wanted to Play a Dwarf & Wear a Beard
- Katy Perry Sang for the President & First Lady Last Night at the White House!
- Kerry Washington & Jimmy Kimmel Bond Over Their Newborn Baby Girls!
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Opens Huge, Scores Biggest Thursday Evening Opening of the Year!