'The Hunger Games' Sets First Day Advance Ticket Sales Record on Fandango
The Lionsgate thriller surpasses advance sales for "The Twilight Saga: Eclipse," the previous record holder.
Lionsgate's franchise-launching thriller The Hunger Games has set a new record for first-day advance ticket sales ahead of its March 23 release, according to Fandango. Advance tickets went on sale Feb. 22, when sales broke the previous record held by The Twilight Saga: Eclipse in May 2010.
Hundreds of showtimes have already been sold out for Games, an adaptation of Suzanne Collins' bestselling young adult novel. Gary Ross has directed, with Jennifer Lawrence, Liam Hemsworth and Josh Hutcherson starring.
The Hunger Games is off to a fantastic start,” said Fandango executive vp and general manager Rick Butler. “Yesterday we saw the biggest first day advance ticket sales in our company’s nearly 12-year history – which is especially impressive for a March release and a non-sequel.”
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
Follow Heat Vision
- Kelly Rowland Buys Belly Bandit For Growing Baby Bump
- Aubrey Plaza Supports Chris Pratt at 'Guardians Of The Galaxy' Hollywood Premiere!
- Jason Derulo Hosts Vegas Pool Party While Recovering From a Broken Rib!
- Emma Stone Really Annoyed Colin Firth By Live-Texting Him Details About His 'Bridget Jones' Performance!