'The Hunger Games' Sets First Day Advance Ticket Sales Record on Fandango
The Lionsgate thriller surpasses advance sales for "The Twilight Saga: Eclipse," the previous record holder.
Lionsgate's franchise-launching thriller The Hunger Games has set a new record for first-day advance ticket sales ahead of its March 23 release, according to Fandango. Advance tickets went on sale Feb. 22, when sales broke the previous record held by The Twilight Saga: Eclipse in May 2010.
Hundreds of showtimes have already been sold out for Games, an adaptation of Suzanne Collins' bestselling young adult novel. Gary Ross has directed, with Jennifer Lawrence, Liam Hemsworth and Josh Hutcherson starring.
The Hunger Games is off to a fantastic start,” said Fandango executive vp and general manager Rick Butler. “Yesterday we saw the biggest first day advance ticket sales in our company’s nearly 12-year history – which is especially impressive for a March release and a non-sequel.”
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
Follow Heat Vision
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game