Idris Elba to Voice Man-Eating Tiger in Disney's 'Jungle Book'
Jon Favreau is directing the live-action/CG hybrid.
In the race to get The Jungle Book to the screen, Disney has taken the lead, with Idris Elba in final negotiations to voice star as the tiger Shere Khan in Jon Favreau's take on Rudyard Kipling's classic tale, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.
The movie is being made as a live-action/computer-generated hybrid, with most of the animals being CG creations and voiced by actors. The studio is also on the hunt for an actor of mixed race to play the part of Mowgli, the "man cub" orphaned boy who is then raised by various jungle animals.
Elba's character is the life-long enemy of the boy. George Sanders voiced Shere Khan in Disney's 1967 animated classic.
Elba is coming off rave reviews for his portrayal of Nelson Mandela in Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom.
Warner Bros. is still moving ahead with its version, with Ron Howard in talks to direct the project after Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu (Babel) fell off.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
Follow Heat Vision
- 'Family Guy'/'Simpsons' Crossover Episode Sneak Peek Is Pure Bliss
- Sexual Harassment At Comic-Con Leads To Call For New Convention Policy
- A Conversation with CBS This Morning's Anthony Mason, Plus Chase Rice, Gentle Giant's Derek Shulman & William Gage Blanton
- The 'Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1' Trailer Is Here To Fight
- Amanda Seyfried's Boyfriend Justin Long Almost Gets Tusks Sewn Into His Head in 'Tusk' Trailer - Watch Now!
- Naomi Watts Is In Talks to Star in Jake Gyllenhaal's 'Demolition'
- Kesha Gets Picked Up By Boyfriend Brad Ashenfelter at LAX Airport
- Sleepy Hollow's Tom Mison & Nicole Beharie Take San Diego Comic-Con by Storm