Image Comics to Revive 'Stray Bullets' With New Series, New Collection
David Lapham's much-loved crime series will return in 2014 after almost a decade, courtesy of the California-based independent publisher.
For many, the critically-acclaimed crime series Stray Bullets is one of comics' great lost treasures. Published by writer/artist David Lapham irregularly between 1995 and 2005, it offered a grim, compelling take on the genre and in many ways laid the groundwork for many of today's crime comics. Today, it was announced that it'll be lost no more, with a digital re-issue of the series to date and new work due in 2014.
Image Comics is behind the return of the series, with three releases next March. Stray Bullets #41, which completes the storyline left unfinished since 2005, Stray Bullets: The Uber Alles Edition, a hardcover collection of the first 41 issues of the series, and Stray Bullets: The Killers #1, which launches a new story arc and returns the series to a monthly schedule.
Creative chores on each of the releases will be handled by Lapham, who said in an interview published by Image that working on the series again was "a dream come true," and something that he's been working toward for years.
"Stray Bullets, to me, is a format for telling my stories," he continued. "Every issue is a complete tale in itself, ranging from traditional noir to emotional drama, comedy, action, suspense, even surreal nonsense. Together they all form a larger story of a cast of misfits, losers, outcasts, families, kids and killers and the tragedies that shape them."
Image publisher Eric Stephenson described the series as "one of comics’ towering achievements," adding that "working with David and Maria Lapham to bring the book back at Image is hands down one of the most exciting things I’ve done since becoming publisher."
In addition to the new material, Image Comics has made the first 40 issues of the series available digitally immediately via its own webstore and ComiXology, with the first four digital issues being made available for free for new readers.
Stray Bullets #41, Stray Bullets: The Uber Alles Edition and Stray Bullets: The Killers #1 will all be released on March 12.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
Follow Heat Vision
- Sexual Harassment At Comic-Con Leads To Call For New Convention Policy
- A Conversation with CBS This Morning's Anthony Mason, Plus Chase Rice, Gentle Giant's Derek Shulman & William Gage Blanton
- The 'Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1' Trailer Is Here To Fight
- Robert Davi: Singing the Songs He Loves in a Place He Loves
- Sleepy Hollow's Tom Mison & Nicole Beharie Take San Diego Comic-Con by Storm
- Chloe Moretz Wins Fans Favorite Actress Award at Young Hollywood Awards 2014!
- Ian Somerhalder: 'The Vampire Diaries' Wins Best Threesome at Young Hollywood Awards 2014!
- Nikki Reed & Kellan Lutz Have a 'Twilight' Reunion at Young Hollywood Awards 2014!