The 'Indiana Jones' Series Set for Blu-ray Release This Fall (Video)
Update: Spielberg and Lucas' first three films join "Crystal Skull" in high-definition thanks to a set featuring a "best of" collection of extras and a few "new surprises."
Paramount Home Media Distribution and Lucasfilm Ltd. announced Wednesday that The Complete Indiana Jones Blu-ray Collection will be released in the fall of 2012. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was released on Blu-ray following its theatrical release in 2008, so the announcement marks the first time that the original three films will make their debut in high definition.
Paramount did not provide an official release date, but the press release indicated that the set would offer the films “using the highest possible high definition picture and audio presentation.” The 2003 box set included a feature-length documentary about the making of the first three films, as well as a collection of vintage featurettes “from the Lucasfilm Archives.” According to Wednesday’s announcement, the new set will be packaged with “a ‘best of’ collection of documentaries, interviews, featurettes and a few new surprises.” Without additional details, there’s no indication whether “best of” means a cultivated selection of previously-available bonus features or some new assembly of extras, but Lucasfilm’s multiple iterations of the Star Wars films on home video suggests that the set may not be truly comprehensive.
Although director Steven Spielberg has declined to record audio commentaries for any of his films, fans would probably count that addition as the most welcome “surprise” should the studio convince him to record new audio tracks. But leave your comments below about which special features or extras you would like to see – whether they already exist or not – and perhaps Paramount and Lucasfilm can add them before the set is released this fall.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
Follow Heat Vision
- Emmy Rossum & Zoey Deutch Celebrate with Jimmy Choo at their CHOO.08 Launch Party!
- Zoe Saldana Is Pregnant with Fear in 'Rosemary's Baby' Trailer!
- Television Legend Valerie Harper 'Absolutely Cancer Free' After Battle with Terminal Brain Cancer
- Keri Russell's 'The Americans' Renewed for Third Season by FX!