Horror Hit 'Insidious' to Get Sequel
The filmmakers responsible for the "Saw" franchise are contemplating a follow-up to last year's spooky release.
Insidious, perhaps the most profitable as well as the spookiest movie of last year, is getting a sequel.
The original creative team, director James Wan and writer Leigh Whannell, is in talks to return for the new film. Jason Blum will be back as producer.
The first movie starred Patrick Wilson and Rose Byrne as a couple who at first think their house is haunted but come to the realization it's one of their sons who is possessed. The first movie (spoiler alert!) ended with Wilson being possessed after a journey to a realm of the dead.
The movie was released in April and scared up almost $100 million worldwide on a budget of only $1.5 million.
It is unclear whether the sequel will continue the story or whether the lead actors will return. Byrne’s stock has risen since the first movie as she was part of Bridesmaids, the surprise comedy hit that has opened new doors for all its leads. She also starred in the summer 2011 tentpole X-Men: First Class.
The sequel is scheduled to go into production this year for a 2013 release.
Oren Peli and Steven Schneider, who acted as producers on the first film, will executive produce along with Brian Kavanaugh Jones.
Alliance Films is back as financier and will distribute in Canada, the U.K. (via its Momentum Pictures subsidiary) and Spain (via Aurum). FilmDistrict will release the film in the U.S., with Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisitions distributing in the remaining international territories.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
Follow Heat Vision
- Ian Somerhalder & Kristen Bell Set to Present at Kids' Choice Awards 2014!
- Lupita Nyong'o Hugs Stylist Micaela Erlanger for THR's Top Stylists Issue, Kristen Stewart & More Featured!
- Leslie Mann Supports PaleyFest Icon Award Honoree Judd Apatow!
- Cara Delevingne & Kate Moss Team Up for New Burberry Fragrance Campaign!