Is Fox Planning an 'X-Force' Movie? (Report)
Does the registration of a particular URL mean that Fox is planning to extend its 'X-Men' franchise beyond the main team?
With The Wolverine still weeks away from release and X-Men: Days of Future Past still in production, you could be forgiven for thinking that Fox currently has its hands full when it comes to the X-Men movie franchise. It appears, however, that plans are already in motion to bring a little bit of 1990s mutant magic to the big screen with a future installment.
The X-Men Films blog has noticed that Fox has registered the domain X-ForceMovie.com, noting that "this is usually how future X-Men film titles end up getting leaked" (Both X-Men: First Class and Days of Future Past were leaked in this manner ahead of official announcements).
For those unfamiliar with X-Force, the concept was created by Rob Liefeld and Fabian Nicieza as a replacement for the teen superhero title New Mutants, with the characters from that series re-organizing themselves into a more militaristic group led by time-traveling cyborg Cable. The first issue set a sales record for the comic book industry when released in 1991.
Through the years, the title has been adopted by different creators for various (and varied) projects, including a satire on the concept of celebrity superheroes and a black-ops branch of the main X-Men team. Currently, the "X-Force" name is being used by two otherwise unrelated series at Marvel: Uncanny X-Force and Cable and X-Force.
With only the URL registration to go on, it's too early to hazard a guess about which version of the team a prospective movie would use, but concept creator Liefeld has long teased the idea of his Cable character appearing in a movie.
Of course, with Fox holding an X-Men movie panel at Comic-Con in San Diego next weekend, more news may be forthcoming sooner than you suspect.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
Follow Heat Vision
- Masters Of Sex, Girls & "Boogie Train": Conversations with Michael Penn and Foghat's Roger Earl
- The Americans 'New Car' Recap: "I'm a Good Person, I Swear!"
- The Extremely Hard Lessons That the Themed Entertainment Industry Learned From Hard Rock Park
- Joe Biden Posts First Selfie With None Other Than President Obama