James Cameron Brings in Writer Josh Friedman for 'Avatar 2' Script
The "War of the Worlds" writer joins Cameron on the sequel to the mega-blockbuster.
James Cameron has enlisted War of the Worlds writer Josh Friedman to work on the Avatar 2 screenplay.
20th Century Fox is eyeing a Christmas 2015 release for the film.
Cameron has been holed up in New Zealand working on the script that will follow up his 2009 mega-blockbuster.
The move is an ironic twist given that Friedman was an executive producer on the TV series Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, which Cameron had nothing to do with despite creating the characters with Gale Anne Hurd. Furthermore, Friedman ended his relationship with the studio in March, when he left 20th Television and signed a two-year deal with Universal Television.
But the Avatar 2 gig provides a real feather in his cap given the success of the first film, the highest-grossing movie of all time.
Friedman, whose credits also include The Black Dahlia, is repped by UTA and attorney Karl Austen.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
Follow Heat Vision
- Neil LaBute Q&A: The Controversial Playwright Talks About His L.A. Theater Takeover
- Top Off-Broadway Shows to Watch in NYC This Season: Part One
- Megan Fox Is Not Thrilled About The 'Girl Power' That Was Cut From 'TMNT'
- Keith Olbermann's Powerful Speech About Lack Of Respect For Women In Sports Is A Must Watch
- Nina Dobrev & Damon Wayans, Jr. Play 'Let's Be Cops' at Comic-Con 2014
- Ian Somerhalder & Nikki Reed Get Cleaned Up at Her House After Sweaty Workout
- Lea Michele & Boyfriend Matthew Paetz Roll Up Their Jeans For LAX Landing