James Franco Expounds on his Wizard of Oz Character (Video)
The Oscar nominee and renaissance man gives a deep reading of his young version of the iconic character, a magician with an eye for deceit.
First thing's first: the Wizard of Oz is not James Bond.
While Oz: the Great and Powerful is debuting some footage at Comic-Con, the star of the grand Disney prequel, James Franco, gave ET a first -- and very deep -- peek into the psychology of his magician-turned-wizard character. And while he agrees that the Wizard is in some ways an icon, he insists that he has for the most part the ability to shape the character with his own interpretation.
Franco, as should be expected of a man who has played everything from James Dean to ape cloner to artist/serial killer, has clearly given this Wizard character a lot of hard thought. It also helped that he read every single Oz book written by L. Frank Baum, 14 in all.
"The character that we've set up is, he's not a bad guy, it's just that, I guess because of his life circumstances -- he grew up on a farm in Kansas, his father, it was very hard -- so he does everything he can to succeed," Franco explains. "He depends too much on success for satisfaction. And so, that has cut him off from having any kind of long term relationships because he always feels like he has to be devoted to his work or climbing to the top. So when he meets any young lady who is pretty, he probably will make a play for her, but without intentions for making a long-term thing."
Mila Kunis, who plays one of the witches, also delves into her character: she's not evil, just a heartbroken girl.
All in all, it sounds like a rom-com wrapped in emerald.
Follow Heat Vision
- 'Supreme Court: No Girls Allowed' Perfectly Parodies The Hobby Lobby Ruling
- Colbert Mocks Kim Kardashian's New Video Game, Introduces One Of His Own
- On 'The Bachelorette' Finale, We Learned That Sex Happens -- Even On Reality TV
- Micah McCain Dishes Up Bette Midler In 'Beaches' In Just Under 4 Minutes
- Dianna Agron Rocks Really High Hair for 'Headlock' Filming
- Benedict Cumberbatch Think His Evil Character Kahn Could Come Back for 'Star Trek 3'!
- Pregnant Zoe Saldana & Chris Pratt Strike the Sassiest Pose Ever at New York Stock Exchange!
- Colton Haynes is a Sexy Leather Stud for New Diesel by Nicola Formichetti Campaign