James Mangold to Direct 'Wolverine 2'
James Mangold is stepping into the director’s chair for Wolverine 2.
Its been a long road for Fox, which is making the sequel, and Hugh Jackman, who stars as the mutant Canadian superhero from the X-Men universe.
The makers went through an extensive search to settle on Darren Aronofsky as a director, but the indie auteur’s interest wavered in March after his Black Swan gothic drama proved a massive hit, grossing over $323 million worldwide on only a $13 million budget.
The studio has been in the hunt ever since, with Mangold only becoming a strong contender late in the race.
The sequel to the 2009 film is set in Japan and will incorporate elements of the ninja storyline seen the Marvel comics. Christopher McQuarrie wrote the script.
Mangold, repped by WME, worked with Jackman on 2001’s Kate & Leopold and has a strong history with Fox via 2005’s Walk the Line and last year’s Knight & Day.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
Follow Heat Vision
- Christopher Nolan, Matthew McConaughey Surprise Comic Con With New 'Interstellar' Trailer
- Pedro Pascal Really Wishes He Were Still On 'Game Of Thrones,' Even In Small Part
- Morgan Freeman And Jimmy Fallon Talking On Helium Will Make Your Day
- Conversations with Billy Gilman, Ernest Ranglin, Mary Sarah and Gangstagrass' Rench, Plus Ben Jaimen's "Satellites" Exclusive