'Jane Eyre' Director Cary Fukunaga to Helm Sci-Fi Drama 'Spaceless' for Universal
The director will also rewrite the screenplay based off the original spec by Jeff Vintar.
Cary Fukunaga, who last directed Jane Eyre, is heading into sci-fi territory for his follow-up.
The director has closed a deal to helm Universal's Spaceless, and will also rewrite the screenplay based off the original spec by Jeff Vintar. Gore Verbinski is producing the project through his BlindWink Productions. Vintar is executive producing.
The story centres on an assassin who wakes up inside a spacesuit tumbling helplessly through space, with a computer designed to keep him company until his air runs out. He must try to solve the mystery of his death, which began when he broke into an orbiting space station to carry out a hit.
Fukunaga has been eager to mix up genres with every directorial outing he’s taken.
His debut was the award-winning immigration drama Sin Nombre, which he followed up with the adaptation of Emily Bronte’s Eyre, a period social drama.
Fukunaga is repped by WME, Anonymous Content and Lichter Grossman Nichols Adler & Feldman.
Peter Cramer and Sara Scott are overseeing the project for the studio.
GENIUS LOST: ROBIN WILLIAMS
Follow Heat Vision
- 'The Theory of Everything' Shines a Light on Stephen Hawking's Love Life
- Robert Rodriguez's Inspiring Speech Will Make You Proud To Be American
- Victoria Justice On Dealing With Cyberbullying, Fashion Inspiration And Her Advice To Teens
- James Franco's New Film 'Kink' Explores BDSM Community, Lifestyle
- Lena Dunham Felt So Much Joy Watching Andrew Rannells in 'Hedwig & the Angry Inch'
- Chris Martin Wears Fat Suit in Coldplay's 'True Love' Music Video - Watch Now!
- Vanessa Hudgens Swings By Kari Feinstein's Style Lounge Ahead of Emmys 2014
- New 'Gotham' Trailer Gives Viewers a Grim & Exciting View of What's to Come!