'Jane Eyre' Director Cary Fukunaga to Helm Sci-Fi Drama 'Spaceless' for Universal
The director will also rewrite the screenplay based off the original spec by Jeff Vintar.
Cary Fukunaga, who last directed Jane Eyre, is heading into sci-fi territory for his follow-up.
The director has closed a deal to helm Universal's Spaceless, and will also rewrite the screenplay based off the original spec by Jeff Vintar. Gore Verbinski is producing the project through his BlindWink Productions. Vintar is executive producing.
The story centres on an assassin who wakes up inside a spacesuit tumbling helplessly through space, with a computer designed to keep him company until his air runs out. He must try to solve the mystery of his death, which began when he broke into an orbiting space station to carry out a hit.
Fukunaga has been eager to mix up genres with every directorial outing he’s taken.
His debut was the award-winning immigration drama Sin Nombre, which he followed up with the adaptation of Emily Bronte’s Eyre, a period social drama.
Fukunaga is repped by WME, Anonymous Content and Lichter Grossman Nichols Adler & Feldman.
Peter Cramer and Sara Scott are overseeing the project for the studio.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
Follow Heat Vision
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game