Jason Momoa to Play Aquaman in 'Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice'
The Warner Bros. superhero ensemble pic stars Henry Cavill as Clark Kent/Superman and Ben Affleck as Bruce Wayne/Batman.
Game of Thrones actor Jason Momoa will take on the role of Aquaman in Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice, sources tell THR.
The Hollywood Reporter exclusively broke the news that Momoa was in talks to join the film in December. Since then, the actor has been cagey about revealing what role he would play or if he was even going to appear in the film, as the whole project has been shrouded in secrecy. Warner Bros. and reps for Momoa declined to comment.
Zack Snyder is directing Dawn of Justice, which is currently shooting and slated to hit theaters May 6, 2016. The film stars Henry Cavill as Superman, Ben Affleck as Batman and Israeli supermodel Gal Gadot as Diana Prince/Wonder Woman.
Dawn of Justice also stars Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor, Jeremy Irons as Alfred and Holly Hunter in a role newly created for the film. Amy Adams, Laurence Fishburne and Diane Lane are reprising their roles from Man of Steel.
Dawn of Justice is written by Chris Terrio from a screenplay by David S. Goyer. Charles Roven and Deborah Snyder are producing, with Goyer, Benjamin Melniker, Michael E. Uslan, Wesley Coller and Geoff Johns serving as executive producers.
Aquaman is a founding member of the Justice League, so it makes sense that he would appear in Warner Bros.' film along with several other founding members, and again in the Justice League film, which will shoot back-to-back with Dawn of Justice. Arthur, King of Atlantis, is the ruler of the Earth's oceans and has superstrength and the ability to communicate with sea life.
Momoa played the barbarian leader Khal Drogo in the first season of HBO’s Game of Thrones, as well as Conan in 2011’s Conan the Barbarian. He most recently starred on SundanceTV's series The Red Road and made his directorial debut with Road to Paloma. He's attached to direct and star in a fighting drama titled Kane, and is repped by APA, Kritzer Levine Wilkins Griffin Nilon Entertainment and Edelstein Laird & Sobel.
HitFix first reported the news that Momoa would play Aquaman.
2014 Emmy Awards
Follow Heat Vision
- Failure, Alarms & After Parties: Chats with The Posies, Dry the River's Peter Liddle and Ghost Town's Kevin McCullough
- This Rapper Just Won The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge With Marijuana
- Emily Browning: If I Had Gotten That 'Twilight' Role, 'I Would Have Quit' Acting
- This Map Plots Where Your Favorite College Movies Were Filmed
- Miles Teller on One-Night Stands: Don't Let Them Borrow Clothes Because 'You Will Not Get That Sh-t Back'
- Jennifer Aniston & Sandra Bullock Mock Chelsea Handler on 'Chelsea Lately' Finale
- Gerard Butler, Vanessa Hudgens, & Selena Gomez Sing Farewell to Chelsea Handler on 'Chelsea Lately'
- Chris Hemsworth Gets to Showcase Comedic Side in 'Vacation'