Javier Bardem in Negotiations to Voice Villain in 'Despicable Me 2' (Exclusive)
Steve Carell and most of the other cast members from the original movie are expected to return.
Javier Bardem is in negotiations to voice a new villain in Despicable Me 2, the sequel to Universal and Illumination’s surprise 2010 hit.
The first movie followed a villainous mastermind, voiced by Steve Carell, who connects with his paternal side when the trio of orphans he hires for an evil scheme melt his icy heart.
Carell and most of the other players from the first movie are expected to return but the new plot, being kept under wraps, calls for a new villain, who has a son of his own.
Bardem would voice the baddie, whose name is El Macho. (His son’s name is Machito.) While the WME-repped actor, and newly minted father, has played many villains on-screen -- Bardem won an Oscar for playing sociopathic hitman Anton Chigurh in 2007's No Country For Old Men -- this would make his first turn, evil or otherwise, in the animation world.
Universal has set a July 3, 2012 release for Despicable Me 2, which is being directed by Pierre Coffin and Chris Renaud.
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
Follow Heat Vision
- Jennifer Lopez Poses In A Bikini For Leah Remini
- FXX Will Make Every ‘Simpsons' Episode Available Online After Full Series Marathon
- Seth Meyers Finds Out What His Writers Really Think Of Him In 'Seth's Affirmations'
- Billy Bob Thornton On Our Obsession With Failure, Reality TV And 'Cupcake Wars' (VIDEO)