Javier Bardem in Negotiations to Voice Villain in 'Despicable Me 2' (Exclusive)
Steve Carell and most of the other cast members from the original movie are expected to return.
Javier Bardem is in negotiations to voice a new villain in Despicable Me 2, the sequel to Universal and Illumination’s surprise 2010 hit.
The first movie followed a villainous mastermind, voiced by Steve Carell, who connects with his paternal side when the trio of orphans he hires for an evil scheme melt his icy heart.
Carell and most of the other players from the first movie are expected to return but the new plot, being kept under wraps, calls for a new villain, who has a son of his own.
Bardem would voice the baddie, whose name is El Macho. (His son’s name is Machito.) While the WME-repped actor, and newly minted father, has played many villains on-screen -- Bardem won an Oscar for playing sociopathic hitman Anton Chigurh in 2007's No Country For Old Men -- this would make his first turn, evil or otherwise, in the animation world.
Universal has set a July 3, 2012 release for Despicable Me 2, which is being directed by Pierre Coffin and Chris Renaud.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
Follow Heat Vision
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game