Jay Baruchel Nearing 'Robocop' Deal
Baruchel will join Joel Kinnaman, Hugh Laurie, Samuel L. Jackson, Gary Oldman, Abbie Cornish and Jackie Earle Haley in Jose Padilha's remake of the 1987 sci-fi classic.
Jay Baruchel is nearing a deal to join the cast of Robocop, MGM and Sony’s remake of the classic 1987 sci-fi action movie.
Jose Padilha (Elite Squad) is directing the film, which sees Joel Kinnaman (The Killing) as the title hero, a cop named Alex Murphy who is brought back from the brink of death and turned into a cyborg police officer.
Baruchel is one of the last major players to be boarding the film, which will begin shooting September in Toronto. Hugh Laurie, Samuel L. Jackson, Gary Oldman, Abbie Cornish and Jackie Earle Haley are already in the cast.
Baruchel will play the head of marketing for Omnicorp, the company that is building the police cyborg.
The actor will next be seen in David Cronenberg’s Cosmopolis and just wrapped The End of the World, the directorial debut of Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg.
Baruchel is repped by CAA, Willie Mercer and Marc Hamou at Thruline Entertainment and attorney Jamie Feldman.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
Follow Heat Vision
- Brooks Wheelan on His Post-SNL Plans, Returning to a Days Inn Budget, and Taking Comedians Camping
- A Most Wanted Man Is an Unshapely Movie That Showcases Philip Seymour Hoffman at His Peak
- Seinfeld Might Come to Netflix
- In the Outlandishly Entertaining Lucy, Scarlett Johansson Becomes One With the Action-Movie Universe