Jay Scherick and David Ronn to Write 'Popeye' Animated Feature
Sony Pictures Animation turns to the two writers who also are working on a sequel to "The Smurfs."
The writing team of Jay Scherick and David Ronn, who were among the screenwriters of this summer hit The Smurfs, have been tapped by Sony Pictures Animation to write the sceenplay for the studio’s animated feature version of Popeye.
SPA and Avi Arad’s Arad Productions are producing the 3D feature,
“Scherick and Ronn have a remarkable talent in re-energizing beloved characters,” Bob Osher, president of Sony Pictures Digital Productions, said. “As they demonstrated with The Smurfs, they embrace the iconic characteristics of these timeless characters and craft a story that really engages moviegoers today.”
“We're thrilled that Jay and Dave are helping us reintroduce Popeye to a new generation,” Michelle Raimo Kouyate, SPA president of production, added. "Their take on the world of Popeye has just the right blend of comedy, adventure and heart -- all the elements that made a great animated film.”
Scherick and Ronn, who are repped by ICM, also have been working on a sequel to The Smurfs. Additionally, they have written a script for Paramount’s upcoming Baywatch adaptation as well as a comedy for pilot for ABC.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR