'Jem and the Holograms' to be a Jason Blum-Produced Movie
"G.I. Joe: Retaliation" helmer Jon Chu will direct the movie.
Jem and the Holograms, the 1980s Hasbro toyline that was also a cartoon, is getting the big-screen treatment.
Jason Blum’s Blumhouse Productions, Scooter Braun Productions and director Jon M. Chu are teaming up to make the movie, which has been fast-tracked to start production this spring.
Chu, Blum and Scooter Braun announced Thursday on YouTube that they are producing a modern-day live-action reinvention of the cartoon. They also turned to fans of the show and toyline for help in writing music, designing costumes and even casting.
The cartoon ran from 1985 to 1988 and chronicled the adventures of Jerrica Benton and her alter ego, Jem, a singer who fronted a band called The Holograms. Ironically, the show was produced with the involvement of Marvel Productions, who were hoping to replicate the success of G.I. Joe.
According to the producers, Jem is being reimagined "for a whole new generation with themes of being true to who you are in a multitasking, hyperlinked social media age."
Ryan Landels wrote the script, which, per the producers, centers on an orphaned teenage girl who becomes an online recording sensation. She and her sisters embark on a music-driven scavenger hunt -- one that sends them on an adventure across Los Angeles in an attempt to unlock a final message left by her father.
The movie is a change of pace for Blum, who is known for his long line of horror movies including the Paranormal Activity films and Insidious, but it is in Chu’s wheelhouse. Before G.I Joe, he directed Step Up 2: The Streets and Step Up 3D. He also directed the Justin Bieber concert films Justin Bieber: Never Say Never and Justin Bieber’s Believe. On the latter two, he worked with Braun, who is Bieber’s manager.
Chu is repped by WME, Principato Young and Stone Meyer. Landels is repped by WME, Kersey Management and Stone Meyer.
Follow Heat Vision
- Marvin Gaye's Sister Zeola Sets The Record Straight On Reported Family Feud Over 'Blurred Lines' Lawsuit
- New Film Healing of Love Is Challenging the Paradigm of Relationships
- The Death of Fake Reality Television, The Birth of 'Connected'
- Morgan Spurlock, 'One Direction: This Is Us' Director: Zayn Malik 'Struggled The Most' With Touring Demands
- Pia Mia Seduces Us In 'F--k With U' Music Video - Watch Now!
- Jamie Chung Has a Condom Problem in 'Resident Advisors' Clip (Exclusive Video)
- Mark Wahlberg Producing Boston Marathon Bombing Movie 'Patriot's Day'
- Stephen Amell Signs Up to Play Megan Fox's Love Interest in 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2'