J.J. Abrams' Bad Robot Releases iPhone Special Effects App (Video)
The "Mission: Impossible"-inspired application allows users to insert movie quality effects into their own videos.
J.J. Abrams' company Bad Robot has released its first iPhone app, Action Movie FX.
No surprise that the first app from the Star Trek director and Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol producer allows users to create movie-like special effects in their own videos filmed on an iPhone. In fact, "Missile Attack!" and "Car Smash," the two effects included in the app, were inspired by scenes in the latest Mission: Impossible.
To use the app simply select the effect, record at least 5 seconds of footage and Action Movie FX does the rest. The instructions advise holding the camera as steady as possible and centering the video on a flat surface to get the best results.
Action Movie FX is free, as are the "Missile Attack!" and "Car Smash" effects. Additional effects are available as in-app purchases for 99¢ for two effects. So far Bad Robot has released "Chopper Down"/"Tornado" and "Air Strike"/Firefight packs with more promised soon.
Abrams is not the first of his friends to experiment with an iPhone app. Childhood friend and longtime collaborator Greg Grunberg got there first with Yowza, a coupon app released in 2009.
See a sample of Action Movie FX below:
2014 Emmy Awards
Follow Heat Vision
- Jon Stewart Loves How Epic HuffPost Headlines Win The Internet
- Jesse Helt, Miley Cyrus' Date At The VMAs, Turns Himself In For Probation Violation
- Solo Concerts, Stealin' Home & Similar Skin: Chats with Bruce Hornsby, Iain Matthews and Umphrey's McGee...Plus!
- Jake 'The Snake' Roberts, Iconic Pro Wrestler, Hospitalized After Collapse
- Julianne Hough Snaps Selfies With Former DWTS Partner Helio Castroneves
- Rose McGowan Pours Pink Paint Over Charli XCX in 'Break The Rules' Music Video - Watch Here!
- Fergie Is Going to Miss the Bar at 'Chelsea Lately'
- Simon Cowell & Girlfriend Lauren Silverman Show Some Affection at 'X Factor UK' Press Launch!