J.J. Abrams Talks About His Future With 'Star Trek'
He may not be directing the next "Star Trek" movie, but J.J. Abrams isn't done with the crew of the Enterprise just yet.
Just because he's set off for a galaxy far, far away, that doesn't mean J.J. Abrams has entirely abandoned the Star Trek franchise. As Star Trek Into Darkness is released on Blu-ray, he's started talking about what his future with Trek will look like.
The director admitted to IGN that leaving the series is "a little bittersweet," but he added, "I’m going to be producing the [next] movie. Whoever it is that directs the film will be someone we all know is going to keep the cast and crew in good hands. I feel very lucky to have been part of it. And it definitely feels like the right time to let someone come in and do their own thing. I certainly don’t want someone to come in and try to do what I would have done. We want to hire someone who’s gonna come in and bring their own sensibility. I’m very excited to see what comes next, despite feeling jealous of whoever that person is."
Part of his producing duties, it seems, is creating the story for the next movie with co-producers Bryan Burk, Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman. Talking to HitFlix, Abrams said that "it's too early to talk about details, but there have been a lot of really exciting ideas about what comes next."
We can only hope that what comes next has less to do with repeating former successes and more to do with successfully reimagining what's come before -- more Star Trek and less Into Darkness, if you will. For all those who hoped that a post-Abrams Trek would be an all-new beginning, it still may be; we're just not at the point of imagining a post-Abrams Trek just yet.
Fall TV Preview
Follow Heat Vision
- McKayla Maroney Was Reportedly Underage In Hacked Nude Photos
- Richard Lewis Talks Richard Lewis: Bundle of Nerves: Mighty Movie Podcast
- Justin Verlander Addresses Online Photo Hacking Of Him And Girlfriend Kate Upton
- Internet Tries Donating In 'Honor' Of Leaked Jennifer Lawrence Photos, Nonprofit's Not Having It
- Lindsay Lohan Dazzles Us With Her Legs at GQ Men of the Year Awards 2014
- Nicole Scherzinger Leaves Ibiza After Displaying Her Fabulous Figure in a Teeny Bikini
- Kim Kardashian & Kanye West Shine Bright at GQ Men of the Year Awards 2014
- Rita Ora & Cara Delevingne Flaunt Their Long Legs at GQ Men of the Year Awards 2014