Joaquin Phoenix in Negotiations for Marvel's 'Doctor Strange'
A source says the deal is further along than just the offer stage, as has been reported.
Joaquin Phoenix is in negotiations to star in Marvel Studios' Doctor Strange.
It's unclear if the actor will accept the role, but a source confirms to The Hollywood Reporter that the deal is further along than just the offer stage, as has been reported.
Scott Derrickson is directing the Marvel feature about the former neurosurgeon who serves as the Sorcerer Supreme — the primary protector of Earth against magical and mystical threats. Doctor Strange, who made his first appearance in the Marvel Universe more than 50 years ago, was first created by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko in the pages of Strange Tales No. 110.
If the deal closes, it would be an unusual move for Phoenix, who in recent years has worked primarily with auteurs such as Paul Thomas Anderson and Spike Jonze and has steered clear of broad commercial fare.
Jon Spaihts is writing the script. Thomas Dean Donnelly and Joshua Oppenheimer wrote earlier drafts.
Marvel declined to comment.
Phoenix is repped by WME and attorney David Weber.
Follow Heat Vision
- New Jersey School Cancels Common As Commencement Speaker Over 'A Song For Assata'
- A-Sides With Jon Chattman: April's 5 For Fighting With... Five for Fighting; Baby Got Nickelback's Bassist Mike Kroger
- The 'Gift' Trailer Will Make Sure You Avoid Reuniting With High School Acquaintances At All Costs
- Chris Messina Thinks Mindy Kaling Has 'Incredible Balls' For That Anal Sex Episode
- T-Pain on What Happened to His Aaliyah Collaboration, Furious 7, and FKA Twigs' Engagement to Robert Pattinson [Updated]
- Patricia Arquette Will Follow Up Her Oscar Win With a Memoir
- Pete Holmes on How the Comedian Became the Modern-Day Philosopher
- Ed Sheeran Fits Right in With the Cast of Sesame Street