Joe Roth to Produce Universal's 'Daughter of Smoke & Bone'
The "Alice in Wonderland" producer takes on the first entry in Laini Taylor's young adult fantasy trilogy.
Joe Roth, the producer behind the $1 billion-grossing Alice in Wonderland, has come aboard to produce Universal’s adaptation of Laini Taylor’s young-adult fantasy novel Daughter of Smoke & Bone. Roth Films president Palak Patel will exec produce.
Universal picked up the rights to the book trilogy in December 2011, beating out four other companies in acquiring the hot YA franchise.
The first installment of the trilogy, published in September 2011 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers, tells the tale of a 17-year-old art student whose father occasionally sends her on errands around the world collecting human teeth for a mysterious purpose. The young woman gradually becomes aware that she is part of an ancient struggle between devils and angels and finds herself in a forbidden romance with a warrior angel.
The book was highly acclaimed when it was released, becoming Amazon’s No. 1 Teen Book of 2011, a Publishers Weekly Best Books 2011, a Huffington Post Top 10 YA Book of 2011 and a New York Times Notable Children's Books of 2011.
The sequel, Days of Blood and Starlight, published in November, is a New York Times best-seller and was named a best book of 2012 by Amazon and Publishers Weekly.
Roth is in the middle of a slate of tentpoles. He produced Snow White and the Huntsman, starring Kristen Stewart and Chris Hemsworth, for Universal; has Oz: The Great and Powerful awaiting release in the spring; and is in production on Maleficent, starring Angelina Jolie.
Health & Hollywood
THR @ TORONTO
Follow Heat Vision
- That Story About the Django Unchained Actress Handcuffed for ‘Kissing While Black’ Just Got More Complicated
- Watch a Supercut of Every Impression Bill Hader Did on SNL
- See the Beautiful Book Jacket for Jami Attenberg’s Saint Mazie
- Do I Have Enough Time to Catch Up on Scandal? Your Pressing TV Questions, Answered
- Sarah Jessica Parker & Kate Hudson Are Fashion Muses for THR's Top Designers
- Matt Bomer's Robot Hand Won't Let Go of Liv Tyler's Breast in 'Space Station 76' Clip (Exclusive)
- Chloe Moretz: Denzel Washington is a 'Master Class in Acting'
- Jamie Foxx Releases 'Party Ain't a Party,' First New Song Since 2010