Joe Russo: 'Captain America' Sequel 'Very Thematic in Terms of Costumes'
What can be learned from Cap's choice of costume in 'The Winter Soldier'? More than may be obvious at first, it seems.
For comic book fans, the outfit worn by Chris Evans in the trailers and posters for Captain America: The Winter Soldier held a particular resonance -- it wasn't the Captain America outfit, but a variation on one worn by the character when he wasn't Cap anymore. According to Winter Soldier co-director Joe Russo, that was a deliberate choice.
"We wanted to use his Super Soldier outfit from the comic books as a way to represent, thematically, his place in the world of SHIELD and the difference between working for SHIELD and being Captain America," Russo told SFX magazine. "That’s something that gets explored on a very concrete level in terms of what outfits are used in the film."
"We wanted to put Cap in a space where he’s a special forces operative for SHIELD who goes on missions around the world that are clandestine and sometimes require a certain level of anonymity or stealth," he explained. "The movie has a very thematic component in terms of the use of costumes. When you come to see the film I think you’ll understand why we made the choice we made."
Of course, in the comic book continuity, Steve Rogers was wearing that outfit when he took over the running of SHIELD. Given that The Winter Soldier teases the revelation that the spy organization has become corrupt, are we about to see Cap clean house and take over as boss as a result?
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
Follow Heat Vision
- Newlyweds Naya Rivera & Ryan Dorsey Kiss, Look So in Love in Los Angeles - See Her Huge Wedding Ring!
- Justin Bieber Receives the Champ of Charity Award at the Young Hollywood Awards 2014
- Ansel Elgort & Nick Jonas Are Making Us Swoon at the Young Hollywood Awards 2014!
- Bella Thorne Turns Heads at Young Hollywood Awards 2014