Joe Russo: 'Captain America' Sequel 'Very Thematic in Terms of Costumes'
What can be learned from Cap's choice of costume in 'The Winter Soldier'? More than may be obvious at first, it seems.
For comic book fans, the outfit worn by Chris Evans in the trailers and posters for Captain America: The Winter Soldier held a particular resonance -- it wasn't the Captain America outfit, but a variation on one worn by the character when he wasn't Cap anymore. According to Winter Soldier co-director Joe Russo, that was a deliberate choice.
"We wanted to use his Super Soldier outfit from the comic books as a way to represent, thematically, his place in the world of SHIELD and the difference between working for SHIELD and being Captain America," Russo told SFX magazine. "That’s something that gets explored on a very concrete level in terms of what outfits are used in the film."
"We wanted to put Cap in a space where he’s a special forces operative for SHIELD who goes on missions around the world that are clandestine and sometimes require a certain level of anonymity or stealth," he explained. "The movie has a very thematic component in terms of the use of costumes. When you come to see the film I think you’ll understand why we made the choice we made."
Of course, in the comic book continuity, Steve Rogers was wearing that outfit when he took over the running of SHIELD. Given that The Winter Soldier teases the revelation that the spy organization has become corrupt, are we about to see Cap clean house and take over as boss as a result?
Health & Hollywood
THR @ TORONTO
Follow Heat Vision
- That Story About the Django Unchained Actress Handcuffed for ‘Kissing While Black’ Just Got More Complicated
- Watch a Supercut of Every Impression Bill Hader Did on SNL
- See the Beautiful Book Jacket for Jami Attenberg’s Saint Mazie
- Do I Have Enough Time to Catch Up on Scandal? Your Pressing TV Questions, Answered
- Sarah Jessica Parker & Kate Hudson Are Fashion Muses for THR's Top Designers
- Matt Bomer's Robot Hand Won't Let Go of Liv Tyler's Breast in 'Space Station 76' Clip (Exclusive)
- Chloe Moretz: Denzel Washington is a 'Master Class in Acting'
- Jamie Foxx Releases 'Party Ain't a Party,' First New Song Since 2010