Joe Russo: 'Captain America' Sequel 'Very Thematic in Terms of Costumes'
What can be learned from Cap's choice of costume in 'The Winter Soldier'? More than may be obvious at first, it seems.
For comic book fans, the outfit worn by Chris Evans in the trailers and posters for Captain America: The Winter Soldier held a particular resonance -- it wasn't the Captain America outfit, but a variation on one worn by the character when he wasn't Cap anymore. According to Winter Soldier co-director Joe Russo, that was a deliberate choice.
"We wanted to use his Super Soldier outfit from the comic books as a way to represent, thematically, his place in the world of SHIELD and the difference between working for SHIELD and being Captain America," Russo told SFX magazine. "That’s something that gets explored on a very concrete level in terms of what outfits are used in the film."
"We wanted to put Cap in a space where he’s a special forces operative for SHIELD who goes on missions around the world that are clandestine and sometimes require a certain level of anonymity or stealth," he explained. "The movie has a very thematic component in terms of the use of costumes. When you come to see the film I think you’ll understand why we made the choice we made."
Of course, in the comic book continuity, Steve Rogers was wearing that outfit when he took over the running of SHIELD. Given that The Winter Soldier teases the revelation that the spy organization has become corrupt, are we about to see Cap clean house and take over as boss as a result?
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
Follow Heat Vision
- A-Sides with Jon Chattman: Alexz Johnson Living "American Dream;" Pace & Revi and a Bicoastal "Hurricane"
- 'Game Of Thrones' Co-Star Reveals Lena Headey Had 'Mixed Feelings' About That Controversial Rape Scene
- Givin' 'Em Hell and Heaven: Conversations With Joe Satriani and Sebastian Bach
- Angel Haze Slams Homophobia In Hip-Hop, Discusses Sexuality
- Shantel VanSanten Leaves the 'Gang' Behind for Night of Music!
- Neil Patrick Harris Gets Support From Partner David Burtka at Opening Night of 'Hedwig and the Angry Inch'!
- 'Frozen' Soundtrack Nabs Its Biggest Sales Week, Stays at Number 1 for 11th Week
- Reese Witherspoon is All About Peeps in Her Easter Baskets!