'John Carter' Star Lynn Collins on Taylor Kitsch's 'Rare Sensitivity' (Video)
The actress reunites with her "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" co-star for Disney's sci-fi adventure based on Edgar Rice Burroughs' books.
In John Carter, Lynn Collins plays Dejah Thoris, a Martian princess whose people are involved in a war with another Martian nation. But Dejah Thoris is no helpless maiden. She’s not only smart, but can hold her own in a fight with the boys.
Collins spoke to The Hollywood Reporter on the carpet at the premiere on Wednesday.
“She is a strong, independent, intelligent female with her hands both firmly grasped on her masculinity,” she told THR. “And that’s something we just don’t see that much. And I wanted to inspire women with that image, with that character.”
Collins was reunited with her X-Men Origins: Wolverine co-star Taylor Kitsch for John Carter. Kitsch, known for playing Tim Riggins on Friday Night Lights, plays the titular character in Disney’s film, which is based on the Barsoom series by Edgar Rice Burroughs.
“He’s amazing,” Collins said of Kitsch. “I have to say he just helped me through so many times I was scared and we were doing stunts.”
“He’s incredible and he’s got such a rare sensitivity,” she added. Kitsch plays a down-on-his-luck Civil War vet who is mysteriously transported to Mars where he becomes involved in resolving the conflict between the warring nations.
In the film, helmed by Wall-E director Andrew Stanton, Collins’ character does a lot of fighting and even some flying and falling. Collins told THR that the scariest stunt she had to do was a swan dive that was about a six-story fall.
THR asked her if she is afraid of heights. “I was,” she said. “Now who knows. Who knows what I’m afraid of anymore.”
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
Follow Heat Vision
- Bryan Singer, 'X-Men' Director, Calls Suit A 'Sick, Twisted Shakedown'
- The Club 47 Folk Revival Explores the Iconic History of Old Cambridge Folk Club
- Jack Kilmer Talks 'Palo Alto,' His Acting Career And Growing Up With Famous Parents
- Lupita Nyong'o and America's Complicated Relationship With Beauty