John Romita Jr. Signs with DC for 'Superman' with Geoff Johns (Video)
Longtime Marvel artist joins DC Entertainment CCO for the chance to "reset" the iconic superhero.
The Man of Steel is getting a comic book makeover, courtesy of DC Entertainment Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns and an artist better known for his work with Marvel, John Romita Jr.. The two creators will take the creative reins on the monthly Superman series with the aim to "reset Superman and his universe."
The official announcement came in an episode of DC's All Access web series (See below), with the two discussing their plans in an accompanying interview at IGN.
"For me, as far as the story goes, my tagline for the story is 'Putting the Man of Tomorrow back in the Man of Tomorrow,'" Johns told the website about the collaboration. "It's really looking at Superman and getting back to the core values and attributes and strengths of Superman."
Romita Jr., who has worked on titles like The Amazing Spider-Man, Uncanny X-Men, Captain America and Avengers for Marvel, admitted that he was "a little bit intimidated" by working on such an iconic character, adding that "the only thing I can do is stay within myself on this."
The signing of Romita Jr., who also co-created Kick-Ass with Mark Millar, is a welcome coup for DC Entertainment in the week following its loss of Batman editor Mike Marts to Marvel.
"The biggest thing for me was I've always said I want to do something I haven't done before, whether it's draw something in a way that I haven't drawn before, tell a story in a way I haven't done before," the artist said. "This is the ultimate in something I haven't done before."
The Johns/Romita Jr. Superman will launch this summer.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
Follow Heat Vision
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack