Johnny Depp Gets His Mustache On in 'Mortdecai' Trailer
Gwyneth Paltrow, Ewan McGregor provide straight-faced back-up
A famously restless actor, audiences have seen Johnny Depp take on a wide variety of roles in recent years, from Alice in Wonderland’s giddy Mad Hatter to Dark Shadows’ camp vampire and The Lone Ranger’s stoic sidekick. Now, the trailer for his latest project, Mortdecai, suggests that he’s finally found his calling: the upper-class English twit.
Depp stars alongside Gwyneth Paltrow, Ewan McGregor and Avengers: Age of Ultron’s Paul Bettany in the comedy, playing Charlie Mortdecai, a “debonair art dealer and part-time rogue” that gets caught up in a quest to recover a stolen painting that may contain the key to unlocking a bank account filled with Nazi gold.
As the trailer shows, the role allows Depp the chance to go eccentric once again, channeling his best Leslie Philips (or, perhaps, Paul F. Tompkins — Seriously, that mustache! That attitude!) while trying to maintain a stiff upper lip in the face of increasingly ridiculous circumstances, including a visit to "a terribly vulgar place called Los Angeles."
Adapted from Kyril Bonfiglioi’s 1970s series of novels, the movie is directed by David Koepp and set for release on February 6, 2015.
Sundance: On the Scene
Follow Heat Vision
- Katy Perry's 'Firework' Matches Up Perfectly With This 1984 Cheerleading Video
- Watch Amy Schumer Invade Anna Kendrick's Personal Space In MTV Movie Awards Promo
- Benicio Del Toro's Weird Accent In ‘The Usual Suspects' Should Have Won The Oscar For Best Foreign Film
- Books: Best-Selling Author Karin Slaughter Speaks Out On Rape, The Police and Her New Book "Cop Town"
- Jay Z Invades Streaming Business By Offering $56 Million For Spotify Rival
- Nikki Reed Helps Shy Guy Ask Her Out in 'Enter the Dangerous Mind' Clip (Exclusive)
- Reese Witherspoon Heads South to Finish Filming & Eat All the Beignets She Can
- Ellie Goudling Shows Off Her Insane Physique in Nike Ad - Watch Here